Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 1:25 PM by ArcSine

Readability Level: Graduate School

phanio Pioneer

We have recently revamped our website attempting to make it a bit more user friendly, clearer in its goals and much more concise. As part of this revamp, we run our site through several SEO web site graders to see how it stakes up to our competition, how it is seen by search engines and, most importantly, how it is seen by our users.

To that note, one recent site scan by websitegrader.com, recommended that we dumb down our site's content. In fact, this was it analysis and recommendation;

"Readability Level: Graduate School

This score measures the approximate level of education necessary to read and understand the web page content. In most cases, the content should be made to be simple so that a majority of the target audience can understand it."

Not only were we shocked by this but a bit surprised as we felt our entire site was written in a "plain English" manner that all could easily understand. Further, we thought it would be extremely rude to assume that our users or any users for that matter need to be talked down to or have content dumbed down for.

Thus, it is either us that is wrong (and we think we know our user best) or the website grader.

To the note, we will ask you. Tell us what you think. Do you think our site is written at a graduate school level and should be made simpler "so that a majority of the target audience can understand it?" - http://www.businessmoneytoday.com/
        • Re: Readability Level: Graduate School
          ArcSine Scout
          I disagree with the "grad school" score. Your site seems to use the buzz words, and speak the lingo, of precisely your target audience...namely, biz owners looking for debt and/or equity financing. I work with a lot of business owners, and I can't think of any that I know personally who would have difficulty understanding the site. Nice job!