Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 10:51 AM by amspcs

Tell me what you think of my site

Secretjade Wayfarer
      Hello SBO community. We have finally gotten our site up and running and things are starting to move in the right direction.

First, I would like to make a plug for Doug Dolan at http://smallbizbreak.com/ He has helped us refine our business plan and provided invaluable assistance along the way.

Second, I would like you all to take a look at our site, www.foederissystems.com and our first tool at www.910calculator.com and let me know what you think. This community has been a great help in getting us to where we are today.

All the best!
        • Re: Tell me what you think of my site
          HDMaps Newbie
          Looks pretty good, the title graphic at the top is fairly plain, imho...but I filled out your contact form and it seems to function nicely. The images on the right side of the page are hard to see, and they seem stretched out a bit, other than that you've got a very good start. Best of luck!

Phil

http://www.henrydavidmaps.com
            Tracker

Secretjade:

Thank you for the kind remarks and for giving me the opportunity to help. With the dedication that your team has shown, the clarity of your vision, your talent, and the value that you are bringing to the legal community, I'm sure that you will be a success.

I'll take a look at the sites and send you a private email,

BTW - My partner, Maria, and I are running a promo this month giving away five business plan reviews for all that follow the simple instructions on our Facebook fan page. Here's the link for more details.

http://www.facebook.com/smallbizbreak?v=app_10442206389

If you are in need of a review of your business plan, sign up.

All the Best,

Doug Dolan

Small Biz Break

"Simple, Spontaneous, Success"
              devilshalo Wayfarer
              Very nice, you are doing a good job.
                Wayfarer
                Hi Secretjade,

Lots of issues i'm afraid. Don't have time for a full review, but will give you some highlights

• No pulling power. You need to highlight compelling words, phrases that will grab the attention of visitors
                • Home page content: Where's your product? Your news, what we do or who we are isn't going to build your client base or revenue stream
                • Blog: The link opening into a new window gives users the impression they are leaving your site to another - even worse, it doesn't even look like your main site
                • Real lack of content with respect to your solutions. Simply having a sentence describing the service is not enough, especially when there are plenty of other similar solutions by other vendors.
                You need to answer the "How can you help me?" question. This is your chance to highlight the benefits and give your visitors the assurance that your product is for them.
                    Secretjade Wayfarer
                    Thank you for the review. These are the things we really need to know that will enable us to create a better site.

couple of thoughts:

Because we are still in development, we feel like it's a fine line between letting people know about the product we are creating and giving away secrets to potential competition. As the product nears completion, we plan to focus more on descriptions that will influence sales.

We have the blog opening into a new window in-part because thats the norm we have seen with other sites and because we wanted people to have the main site open for reference. We will definitely review the idea of merging them together.

On the solutions page, if you click on the icon for each solution, it opens with a more detailed description about the product. We will work to make information easier to find.

All the comments and reviews are greatly appreciated!
                        Wayfarer
                        Hi Jade, well i am just glad that you took my comments in stride and didn't take too much offence to them, just trying to help :)

Secretjade wrote:
                        Because we are still in development, we feel like it's a fine line between letting people know about the product we are creating and giving away secrets to potential competition. As the product nears completion, we plan to focus more on descriptions that will influence sales.
                        I totally understand wanting to protect secrets, however you have to throw us a bone :) - also i didn't realize your products were still in development, i assumed they were ready to go
                        You need to be able to put yourself in the shoes of a visitor, so let me give you an example.
                        I'm a pretty busy guy and i need a collaborative software to help me in my business. I don't have time to make calls or listen to sales pitches, i just want to do my research and due diligence on my own time.
                        So, i open up my trusty friend Google enter some keywords like "collaborative software" or "project management software".
                        I quickly browse through the first page listings clicking on links that interest me. I have 6 web sites now, that i need to evaluate. As i said, i am pretty busy and really don't think i
                        have time to thoroughly go through all these sites. So, I quickly skim through them all to see if i can wittle them down say 3.

So, what am i doing here? I have certain criteria that i need this software to accomplish, so as i am skimming these sites, i am looking for these sets of criteria.
                        And if i don't see them or don't see anything that inspires me to take action, then i close those web sites, and unfortunately one of those would've been yours.
                        And it's for the 2 reasons I listed. It doesn't inspire me to take action and doesn't list enough features to know if your product is right for me. Your product may very well be the perfect fit for my needs, but you didn't bother listing them.

Secretjade wrote:
                        We have the blog opening into a new window in-part because thats the norm we have seen with other sites and because we wanted people to have the main site open for reference. We will definitely review the idea of merging them together.
                        Just because it seems to be the norm doesn't make it right :)
                        I really don't think people will be referencing your main site while reading a blog post.
                        They can always use the back button.

Secretjade wrote:
                        On the solutions page, if you click on the icon for each solution, it opens with a more detailed description about the product. We will work to make information easier to find.
                        Yes I noticed that, and that's what i meant. Just not enough information and imagery.
                        Give people an inside look into the product. A sneak peek, perhaps - without giving up any "secrets"
                      amspcs Ranger
                      Good morning. I think SEOHelper gave you some pretty sound advise. What I'd like to add is my own experiences in getting a website off the ground from scratch.

Basically, I have found out that constant useful content updates is a must to get the attention of the seach engines. You'll find that the site is never finished, you always need to update, refresh, and add relevant content.
                      Also, time is your ally. The more time your site sticks around, the more the search engines will pay attention to it. In other words, don't expect tons of overnight traffic. No matter what else you do, you need to prove to the
                      search engines that you site is not one of the millions of "six months and disappear' sites out there. So give it a little time.

Finally, I'l like to reinforce a comment many have made to you on this post, because it is very important. My background many (I DO mean many) years ago is in merketing, and the concept of effective marketing/advetising
                      says you only have a very few seconds to get the readers attention and make your point. I must tell you that I looked at your site and, after glancing quickly, did not come away with a clear understanding of what it is you do,
                      and what your Unique Selling Proposition is. Maybe ti's just me. But you might want to give this some thought and tweek some things. If you need the name of a very good website copywriter, I happen to know one who did some
                      very good work for me, and I'd be happy to share the name.

Hope this helps.
                      AMSPCS
                      amspcs@juno.com
                      www.MerchantServices-help.com