Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2008 5:48 PM by The Expert

Free Marketing Ideas

The Expert Adventurer

It is time we tightened our belts in anticipation of a recession.

I have been trying to find way to Market our products FREE.

Every week we hope to post one idea.

Here is the first one.

Post your promotional events FREE at www.TheBestCityGuides.com
      http://www.thebestcityguides.com/MainPages/EventAdvertisements.aspx

This is one of the fastest growing City Guides.

• Re: Free Marketing Ideas
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Expert. This website loves the word "FREE". Great idea. " I have been trying to find way to Market our
          products FREE ". Can I join you.?? The suspense of waiting a week
          First of all the answers on this site are FREE.
          " SCORE is FREE " (and everybody know about SCORE)
          LUCKIEST
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Anybody else out there who wants to join it.
            We can OPEN a "FREE" topic and see where it goes.
            LUCKIEST
              LostBoy Newbie
              When I think FREE Marketing I only think internet. There are many popular sites like Craig's list. Occasionally I post things on craigslist and the local papers' sites. I haven't had any response from these yet but it's money well spent. I like to think that atlest I've reached a few new people that have never heard of me before.

My marketing ideas are mainly low cost. Direct mail, flyers, local bulletin boards.
                  The Expert Adventurer
                  Hi Lost Boy
                  Could you please share your experience with the Craigs list
                  Thanks
                      LostBoy Newbie
                      I occasionally post in the service section of Craig's list.
                      I haven't gotten any responses from it though but I believe that I'm still getting my name out there. Craig's List and the local papers' online thing are also searched by some search engines so it will also add to any search results that come up.

Most of the time I just attach an image of my most recent flier and write a quick summary. The quick summery will add to the chance that I turn up on the search engines.
                      It's totally free so I don't have any complaints. I don't think too many people look in the service section of the online ads though.
                      The Expert Adventurer

This was posted by Puzzleman at another blog titled Marketing ideas for Buffalo wings and Pizzas. But they are such great ideas I thought I would like to share them with you.

They are nearly free. But involves a lot of 'sweat equity'

Everyone here has some great ideas for you. One thing to remember is that marketing is like pushing a car up a hill. It hard and slow to start with but gets easier as you keep pushing and get others to help. But when you stop pushing the car will roll back to the bottom of the hill and you have to start all over again.

My idea would be to give free samples. I'm not sure how it would work but if you're feeling a financial pinch, through caution to the wind and go for it. Broadcast it big. give samples to radio stations (preferable sports talk, as they like to eat as well as talk). Put someone in a chicken suit on the street with a big sign saying free wing samples with purchase of a pizza. Go zany. Shoot for the moon. You don't have to spend lots of cash to promote. Give product away. It's cheaper. Plus it gets your product out there.

How about putting coupons on the back of grocery store receipts? How about someone in a Luigi costume to promote your pizza and free wing samples? How about do enough of these things that a local TV station notices and puts you on the wacky part of the show. How about someone in a chicken suit riding around on the back of a Harley type motorcycle or a motorcycle with a sidecar with a sign saying "Check out my wings at....." or " Free Chick! See more at......" . Things like this don't cost much money.

Jim Report as inappropriate
                      The Expert Adventurer

Study your competitors well. Put your emotions aside. Study their product / service well. Find out who their clients / advertisers are - invite them to sample your product or offer them a package that they cannot resist.
                        Peter63 Wayfarer
                        Speaking in terms of online marketing, I would be inclined to try and get some (loads!) articles written; good, original content, a minikum of say 250 words and get postin gto some article sites. Ezinearticles.com is one of the best. Google article marketing sites and see if there's anything that catches you interest.

P
                          MKTG.com.au Adventurer
                          I think a strategy worth mentioning is to get small businesses used to the idea of accounting for marketing and creating a budget.

As larger companies know, a marketing budget just does not appear from thin air, a tiny percentage of sales is set aside for marketing. Marketing is more important now than ever (recession or not aside) and the people who create a marketing budget as part of a sales strategy will win long term. Its kind of like the theory of giving a man a fish is good for that day but teaching him to fish will set him up long term.
                              The Expert Adventurer
                              Once you identify a Market segment, think of all the ways you could let them know about your product / item.
                              Now, spend a lot of time figuring out how to do this cost effectively
                              If you are creative, you can find really cost effective ways to do this.
                              Please please becareful about the cost of things - dont let that get out of hand. Especially when we are facing an economic down turn
                              Hair One Newbie
                              Well for our Salon MySpace is a "Free" form of advertising. You can do a brouse and type in your zip code, enter a mile radius then add "friends". It's similar to passing out a flyer.
                                Uncle Leon Tracker
                                Free marketing is worth every cent you pay for it. (;>) Chuckle, chuckle

All kidding aside...it's not the cost of marketing that really counts, as much as the business (and especially net profit) that it generates versus that cost.