Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 11:14 AM by Bridge

Patent or Copyright Needed for clothing apparel image

alexanderp98 Newbie
      I have an idea for selling t-shirts and possibly jackets with a design I came up with. Do I need to do something to prevent others from stealing my idea once they see it? How can I protect my intellectual property from others copying my design/idea? Do I need to patent the design or have it copyrighted or something?
      I already have an online business selling collectibles and want to introduce apparel into my inventory.
      What should I do? I think getting a patent is going to be kind of pricey and at first I am going to sell t-shirts with this image.

Thanks for your help.
        • Re: Patent or Copyright Needed for clothing apparel image
          Bridge Navigator

O.K. here's the difference:

What is a trademark or service mark?

• A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
          • A service mark is the same as a trademark, except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. Throughout this booklet, the terms "trademark" and "mark" refer to both trademarks and service marks.

Do Trademarks, Copyrights and Patents protect the same things?

No. Trademarks, copyrights and patents all differ. A copyright protects an original artistic or literary work; a patent protects an invention

Best of luck.