Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 12:48 PM by FinanceOne

Starting a New Construction Company

young1dw Newbie

Here is our story,

I am a 45 year old woman and I have recently been certified as a building contractor and I am looking for advice on starting a construction company in the Treasure Coast Florida.

I have so many questions..
      1. What are my options for obtaining capital?
      2. What are some good marketing strategies?
      3. I could use some help construcing my business plan.

That is ok for now until I run into any other road blocks.

Thank you all for your support and knowledge.

Laura
        • Re: Starting a New Construction Company
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Starting a New Construction Company, Welcome Laura

If I was planning on Starting a New Construction Company, I would first develop a business plan.

then I would contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE

<!--Session data-->
            Tracker

Laura:

Congratulations on getting your certifications.

To answer your questions:

1. For funding, I recommend you seek out a community member here that goes by the nickname, "phanio". He is excellent. I recommend you check out his site, Business Money Today.

2. Good marketing always starts with having a clear definition of the target audience you are going after and what you have to offer of value for their benefit. It is difficult to give you specific answers instead of a generic list since I don't know who your target base is and what your focus is.

For example, you could network with other contractors that provide services complementary to your own in hopes that they refer work to you. Or you could network with insurance professionals for referrals on damaged properties. Again, since I don't know your target, it's hard for me to say what would work best for you.

3. My partner and I can help you with your business plan (and marketing once we know more) in a couple of ways. First, you can go to our site, Small Biz Break (the address is below). There you will see a Register tab where you can get access to our Solutions Center at no charge. Once you get your password, you can download a copy of the Formal Business Plan Outline to see the structure that you will need. Plus, you may want to download a copy of the Market Research Outline, too, to see what research you may need to consider when creating your plan.

Additionally, if you prefer the hands on approach, you can go to our Contact Us page and leave us a message. We can review your plan and coach you through the development of it.

I hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

Small Biz Break (http://smallbizbreak.com)

"Simple, Spontaneous, Success"
              FinanceOne Wayfarer
              Obtaining capital for a start-up of any kind is very difficult right now. All funding sources require collateral and personal guarantees and even then it can be tough to obtain financing. If you have strong personal credit you may find that a local bank is willing to extend a personal line of credit or if you have equity in real estate you may be able to tap that as well. However, it is very important to consider what being on the hook personally means if the business doesn't work out.

As others have said, a well prepared business plan is essential. Please tell us more about what type of contractor you want to be (residential, commercial, remodeling, etc). What are your start-up capital needs? Equipment purchase? Advertising? Shop space?