Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 3:30 PM by FinanceOne

Building a idea

jas737 Newbie
      I am looking for two things here:

I have three ideas that I have taken out of my head and put down on paper. now am making two of the three thing I have on paper. One is for the swimming pool market, one is add on piece for heavy equipment. and the last one is a installation kit for doing stone pavers and retaining walls. Does this sound like something that can that can stand on its own two feet if I start a company?

The second is now with saying that what i need is to find out if I can get someone to let me know if I can get this thing going in to something bigger than just me!!! I was thinking about looking for a grant to help make the prototype's and to help get them moving. Does anyone know how or where I can go to find out these things?
        • Re: Building a idea
          Tracker

Jason:

Not to give you a lackluster answer, but to your first question, I would answer, "maybe". Do any of these three businesses leverage your professional abilities, your experience, and do you have a passion for them? Do they fit into your financial and personal goals? What is the market research telling you? Do you have a business plan?

As far as your second question regarding financing, I recommend you seek out a community member here that goes by the nickname "phanio". He has a site, Business Money Today. He is very knowledgeable about what it takes to secure funding and where to go to get it.

I hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

Small Biz Break (http://smallbizbreak.com)

"simple, Spontaneous, Success"
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jas737 Newbie
              to answer your question...
              i owned a SWIMMING POOL COMPANY for a around 7 years now and all of the things that i am trying to get made are things that i know can be used in this field as well as many others. my family has been in the dirt field for longer then i know. i know that two of the ideas i have can be used in that field as well... i am making two of them now and believe that i should have two of them done by the end of the month. i will test them over the next month to make sure they work the way i would like them too, before i try to do any thing with them. i do have a very big market for all of the things i am making. just don't know how to get the money to make them in large quantity and to do the advertisement on a larger scale then just in Maryland us.
                  Tracker

Jason:

Thank you for the clarification.

For financing, I still recommend you seek out the community member here that goes by the nickname "phanio" and check out his site, Business Money Today.

All the Best,

Doug Dolan

Small Biz Break (http://smallbizbreak.com)

"Simple, Spontaneous, Success"
                    FinanceOne Wayfarer
                    Jason,

Once you finish and test your prototypes start looking for a local manufacturer to get qoutes on production costs. I see you are in MD. Baltimore would be a great place to look for a manufacturer. I'm not sure what you are making but just about anything can be produced but I wouldn't have anything mass produced until you have established demand. You will most likely have to front the money for your first finished products and then you can start the selling process. You may find private money that would be interested in investing in your idea. However, you would be giving up some of the ownership and future profits by doing this.

If your product is being sold B2B then you may be able to take advantage of purchase order factoring to fund the manufacturing costs and not get caught in a cash crunch between manufacturing and delivery.

Are your products B2B or B2C?