Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 1:51 AM by smallbus01

Key words in website headers...

ErinHeaven Wayfarer
      I asked a similar question about using key words in Article writing, but this is sufficiently different as to warrand a new thread...

I'm wondering about using keywords in website headers. If I use more popular terms, I'm concerned about getting lost in the plethora of sites that would come up when searchers used those terms. On the other hand, I'm concerned that if I use more specialized terms, I'll get fewer searchers in general tho my articles might have greater chance of showing up near the top.

Also, on site hosts that allow me to use infinite key words, is more better? I had the idea of posting every state & city name in the US to my key words in order to attract clients looking for services in every area of the country. As I do phone consultation, I am not bound to location. However, a friend told me those are way too many key words & search engines tend to ignore more than 30.

I just want to use my energy to the best effect. Thanks!
        • Re: Key words in website headers...
          dr.richard Wayfarer
          Hi Erin

There are a couple of issues here so this might cause some confusion...

1. You've highlighted a major thing for keywords - you need to find the right balance of keywords that have low competition but that also have a decent number of people searching for them. This can be quite tricky to do and I've blogged about it a few times. A quick way to find the competition level is to do a Google search and look for the number of results. There are better, more accurate ways, but this is a start. The Google AdWords keyword tool will give you a good idea of the number of searches

2. Keywords should be used in page titles, headings, in links and in the text of your page. I think you might be referring to the KEYWORDS meta tag, which you put into the header code of a web page. This isn't used so much by search engines any more, but it's worth putting a few (not lots!) in the header. Make sure they are ultra-relevant to your webpage. I'm guessing your host allows you to add this tag in some way.

Hope this helps a little bit!

NatOnline Tracker
            In SEO (Search Engine Optimization) if you are too broad, competition will be more difficult to achieve. What you have to do is inserting a keyword or keyphrase in your targeted titlte.

For example if you are selling "Chain Saw" and you put in your title page Chain Saw it will be very difficult to rank in the first page because there are so many competitors.

Now if you put in your title "ECHO Gas 18 In. 40.2 CC Chain Saw" then you are targetting all the people interested in this specific product and will increase your chance to rank in the first pages and sell your product.

The principal isn't to target broad keywords or keyphrases but instead to be as specific as you can.

Now you can use the keyword or keyphrase of your choice in the title page, the meta description and meta keywords. Yahoo and other search engines use the meta keywords, so why not use them.

I hope it will help :)
              What do you mean website headers? Are you talking about meta tags?

Definitely don't put all cities and states there, it will look like spam to the Engines.
              You are on track though when you mention specialized terms.
              Yes, it means less people searching for them, however it also means that when you do rank well for them, these people are more likely to know what they are looking for which means a more likely lead for you.
                smallbus01 Adventurer

You have to find the perfect keyword. Kind of low-key, little competition but somewhat popular in searches. Make a research on Yahoo, Google and Bing so you can optimize your website traffic.