Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2008 11:48 AM by Lighthouse24

Virtual Sales Community

Negoish Newbie
      Is it possible for sales related professionals to create a VPN virtual private network for
      "new" business in their home?
        • Re: Virtual Sales Community
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Tell us more. What field of sales are you in?? and for how long?? LUCKIEST
          !http://media.techtarget.com/digitalguide/images/Misc/sdef_definition.gif!
          • A virtual private network (VPN) is a network that uses a public
          telecommunication infrastructure, (such as the Internet), to provide
          remote offices or individual users with secure access to their
          organization's network. A virtual private network can be contrasted
          with an expensive system of owned or leased lines that can only be used
          by one organization. The goal of a VPN is to provide the organization
          with the same capabilities, but at a much lower cost.
          A VPN works by using the shared public infrastructure while maintaining privacy through security procedures and tunneling
          protocols such as the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP).
          In effect,
          the protocols, by encrypting data at the sending end and decrypting
          it at the receiving end, send the data through a "tunnel" that cannot
          be "entered" by data that is not properly encrypted. An additional
          level of security involves encrypting not only the data, but also the
          originating and receiving network addresses
          LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Virtual Sales Community
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

Yes, it's possible. I use extranets that my clients maintain in order to access their data, as do other contractors and suppliers (but those clients are very picky about how I do that -- for instance, one requires me to use a dedicated laptop that they provide). The obvious challenge is the security procedures and tunneling protocols that achieve the "private" part of VPN. I think law firms were among the first small businesses to use VPNs extensively, and Mary Kay created theirs for sales consultants about seven or eight years ago (and went from all sales orders being paper-based, to about 80 percent being submitted by sales people through their extranet). Most of the firms I deal with built and maintain their own, but there are hosted solutions available that might work for you. Is there a specific application or scenario that you're exploring?