Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 3:53 PM by amspcs

Need help with Windows 7 Backup

amspcs Ranger
      Having trouble creating both Windows Backup and Windows Repair Disc onto DVD with new Windows 7.

Every time I begin, it starts OK, then freezes and stops at around 25%.

Could the problem be I am using the incorrect DVD type? I'm using DVD+R DL, whatever that means.

Perhaps DVD-RW would solve the problem?

Anybody savvy about these issues, I'd cerainly apprciate your input.

Thanks
        • Re: Need help with Windows 7 Backup
          rbtl1004 Newbie
          You could try a dvd-r or do a back-up to a external HD
          Because it sounds like a dvd rom problem
            chrisondo Newbie
            DVD+R DL stands for double layer and can store 8.5 gigs.

An everyday orginary recordable DVD can store 4.7 gigs.

From what you are describing it sounds like the DVD media does not have enough storage capacity to store the backup image.

For what you want to achieve you need to be backing up to another kind of media that can absorb the physical size of your backup's.
            At minimum an external hard drive is the most rock bottom way but you really should be backing up to multiple hard drives to be redundant with protecting and storing your data.
                KathleenF Scout
                Chris,

You think a 250 gig external usb drive would work? Is the option available for this type of drive?

Kathleen
                    chrisondo Newbie
                    250 gigs is a good amount of storage space but is it big enough for you?
                    That deponds on how much data you have.

From your desktop:
                    Double click MY COMPUTER.
                    RIGHT CLICK on the C: drive

What does the PIE say?
                    How many GB is USED and how many GB is marked as Free Space?

Being hard drives are very inexpensive these days I would splurge and get a few 1 GB size hard drives.
                        amspcs Ranger
                        Thanks for all the good advise from everyone. I think I will spend a few bucks on external hard drives.

Question: I already subscribe to Carbonite offline backup. Does this not do the trick for me? Or is this only backing up data files and not program files etc.
                        which is the purpose of a system backup, I guess.

Finally, lastest update: Just for the heck of it, I tried DVD minus R instead of plus R's. For awhile it seemed to be doing the trick, then as before, it just stopped and froze.
                        I went through three DVD changes and got all the way up to like 70% done when I went to bed around midnight. But at 7 AM, it was still on 70%, by all indications was still
                        doing 'something (the screen didn't freeze), but couldnt get the percentage to budge, so I just gave up and ended it. Soooooo frustrating. I WAS able to sucessfully make a
                        'repair' disk with the minus R DVDS, whatever that's good for.

AMSJPCS
                          amspcs Ranger
                          Thanks for all the good advise from everyone. I think I will spend a few bucks on external hard drives.

Question: I already subscribe to Carbonite offline backup. Does this not do the trick for me? Or is this only backing up data files and not program files etc.
                          which is the purpose of a system backup, I guess.

Finally, lastest update: Just for the heck of it, I tried DVD minus R instead of plus R's. For awhile it seemed to be doing the trick, then as before, it just stopped and froze.
                          I went through three DVD changes and got all the way up to like 70% done when I went to bed around midnight. But at 7 AM, it was still on 70%, by all indications was still
                          doing 'something (the screen didn't freeze), but couldnt get the percentage to budge, so I just gave up and ended it. Soooooo frustrating. I WAS able to sucessfully make a
                          'repair' disk with the minus R DVDS, whatever that's good for.

AMSJPCS