Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 8:42 AM by KathleenF

Should you block Facebook at work?

Navigator
      Some companies do it because it's considered an entertainment site, security hazard, or something not work-related. Other companies consider Facebook an essential part of marketing-- to network with others. What do you think?
        • Re: Should you block Facebook at work?
          KathleenF Scout
          I don't think Facebook should be 100% banned at the workplace but I think some common sense should also be used. The employer should be mainly concerned if the employee has a reduction in productivity which can be addressed easily. Companies sometimes think that banning a social networking site rather than monitoring it is easier and better use of resources.

The real question is if companies chose to ban Facebook then in all reality they would have to ban youtube, myspace, yahoo and news station blogs such as CNN, Foxnews and NBC. Each of those sites are socially engaging the visitors by comments and invoking conversation.

Personally, I think evaluating an employees productivity is the better route to go!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            RobClayton Wayfarer
            I think you hit the main issues - if you have and store customers data - then maybe yes as there is a tremendous amount of malware attaching facebook - as computer power increases - so do the automated virus and what many small businesses don;t understand is that much of these attachs are going after small businesses and not jus trhe big guys.

On the other hand, if it is essential to your business - then look for other ways to protect your and your customer's information - lots of products out there to help.

Business Junkie .org
            www.BusinessJunkie.org
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                KathleenF Scout
                If you are a small business, facebook or not, you should be putting in place as much security as you can. Customers data should be maintained on a protected machine. Properly protected is not only anti-virus, malware scanners but the old saying goes ... don't download what you don't know. Spend the little extra money to higher and IT person to setup your system. Make sure do do a weekly or monthly maintenance of your system with regular daily backups.

Even on facebook don't just click on anything. Only friend those who you actually know. I play several of the games on facebook and constantly get people who want to be friends just for the game sake. I refuse all requests from those I don't know.

Taking the necessary steps to protect yourself, customers and your co-workers in any online format is necessary and required.