Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 5:24 PM by grantsforce

Calling All Writers!

amynwesley Adventurer
      Nickels and Dimes Advertising needs short stories, poems, comic strips, artwork and Smart Tips for our next issue of Nickels and Dimes.
      Go to our website, www.nickelsanddimes.biz for more information.
        • Re: Calling All Writers!
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Amy, Are you looking for FREE short stories, poems, comic strips, artwork and smart tips for your next issue??
          Or is there MONEY involved?? LUCKIEST
            CorpCons08 Ranger
            Amy,

What is the purpose of your newsletter?
            What are you hoping to get out of it?

CC08
                amynwesley Adventurer
                Nickels and Dimes was supposed to be printed as a brochure in which businesses and persons could place there ads. However because of a lack of advertisements the first issue printed as a newsletter.
                Here is the actual breakdown of Nickels and Dimes. It started off as just a brochure in which businesses and persons could place there ads and thats it. However after looking at a lot of my competition's pieces I realized that if a person didn't need anything offered inside the brochure, nobody is going to pick it up. So a friend of mine suggested that I add certain pieces to spice it up, to make it appeal to more readers.I went back to the drawing board. I decided to add "In The Spotlight" which highlights a certain business, business owner or person. Then I added the Smart Tips page as a way for others to get involved by sending in there advice. There is always a feature story as with this one. And the short stories, poetry and comic strips are just another way to attract more readers, to spice it up a bit.
                I want to use Nickels and Dimes to attract people to Nickels and Dimes Advertising. With Nickels and Dimes people are able to see my work, to see what I'm capable of and hopefully like it and become more interested in Nickels and Dimes Advertising.
                I haven't had anyone tell me yet what they thought about the first issue. So I will ask you. As a reader (I'm assuming you downloaded it and read it), what were your thoughts? Did it appeal to you? Were you sure of the message I was trying to send? Were there errors that need correcting?
                    CorpCons08 Ranger
                    Amy,

How are you marketing this "brochure?" I remember you telling what the costs were, but how is the business owner making out from advertising in your brochure? The point of the first issue was a little hard to understand, because it was not entirely as you said here. I did see an advertisement, but mostly it looked to me like a newsletter, which is why I called it that. Lets think outside the box a little, with all the ways people are advertising currently, how can you make your brochure a well sought after venture? Are you mass producing these and mailing them out? Are you direct mailing them within' zip codes? See what I am saying?

I am interested in hearing your thoughts and I will continue to provide feedback to try and help you.

CC08
                        intechspecial Ranger
                        Welcome to the community!

Edited by: Host_Buggie on Jan 9, 2008
                          amynwesley Adventurer

I think one of the biggest hurdles all business owners struggle to jump is financing. Thats one of the hurdles I tend to trip and fall over. My God if this was the 20s and rent was still 2 bucks a week and $175 was equivalent to $1,175 we would all be set. Sadly however the roaring 20s have come and gone.
                          I feel like I'm in a financial bubble that just won't pop, that I can't go any faster or move any further than I am right know. I feel like certain markets are unaccesible by the small business owner with a small budget.
                          To distribute this issue of Nickels and Dimes I'm mailing samples to those on my direct mail list. I'm also direct marketing which seems to work best for me and marketing on the internet. Interenet marketing has brought me a few customers but I don't think I know yet how to fully use the internet to my advantage.

CorpCons08 Ranger
                              Well keep in mind, you are asking for advertisers. You want to make sure the market you are advertising with isn't just one seeking advertising groups. You have to make sure those advertising with you are getting a fair shot at business. You might want to consult some of the other advertising groups on this community for suggestions and tips of how to get started. Best wishes.

CC08
                                  amynwesley Adventurer
                                  I'm thinking that perhaps I should completely change my focus and that I should market Nickels and Dimes not as a brochure but a newsletter distributed by Nickels and Dimes Advertising. I can keep some of the same items that I have know, the interestings reads, short stories, "In the Spotlight", the drawings, and things like that. I could still of course offer advertisements, maybe at a much lower rate and focus on getting a solid client base for Nickels and Dimes Advertising and then branch out.
                                      CorpCons08 Ranger
                                      I think it would be a good idea to figure out how you want to market this. Let me start out by asking the question that LUCKIEST normally asks. Have you created a business and marketing plan for your business venture? These two elements are extraordinary vehicles for making small businesses stay on track.

CC08
                                          amynwesley Adventurer
                                          Yes I have. Of course in the beginning Nickels and Dimes and getting people to place there ads in Nickels and Dimes was the primary focus. When i went to get my business certificate, Nickels and Dimes was taken so i settled for Nickels and Dimes Advertising. I was giving out promotional material for Nickels and Dimes and someone told me that they really liked the brochure and asked if I could make one for them. And I did. From that Nickels and Dimes Advertising became Nickels and Dimes Advertising.
                                          Nickels and Dimes was supposed to be a brochure produced by Nickels and Dimes Advertising in which businesse and persons could place there ad. However, like I said, due to a lack of advertisments in that first issue I printed it as a newsletter.
                                          Now Nickels and Dimes Advertising still is and has always been the primary focus. instead of neglecting that fact I need to focus on that, build a solid client base for Nickels and Dimes Advertising, continue printing Nickels and Dimes as a newsletter to see how well that goes and then possibly bring back the idea of a brochure. I have a marketing plan for Nickels and Dimes Advertising, one that seems to worth but the Nickels and Dimes part seems to get overlooked. Thats why I feel it is best to just produce it as a newsletter. That will help Nickels and Dimes Advertising get its foot in the door.
                                              amynwesley Adventurer

Essentially the Nickels and Dimes part of the business plan is not working.
                                              Nickels and Dimes Advertising is doing fine. So what I was faced with is do I scrap Nickels and Dimes and just focus on Nickels and Dimes Advertisng. Or do I give Nickels and Dimes another chance. By marketing it as a company newsletter, Nickels and Dimes will live to see another day.
                                                  print28 Adventurer
                                                  Hello Amy, I am new at this site, and I am now just getting around to reading other profiles and finding out about the members! My husband owns a small printing and promotional products company, and I am the sales/marketing consultant! We too, have the financial problem end of it, because of one big compeitor in our area, so that is why we have went outside the box! We also have been promoting Racing Promotional Products for drivers and tracks! Let me ask you this, if we were willing to put whatever you have, into the student mailboxes at the University here, which is Elon University, would that be something you would be interested in? Yes, there is a catch! Could we be your printer, or be able to put an ad in your brochure or newsletter? We could even help you with mailing lists too, because we do direct mailings! You might say no way, on this, I know it is a long shot for us, but my head is just swimming with ideas, and trying to get our business growing, because I believe in our business, and my husband has been in this industry for 28 years, and this is our dream is to get our own business growing, and to get our customers to keep coming back to us! We are hardwording honest people, and all we want is a chance, even if it is just giving someone a quote, that is okay with us! Think about it, like I said you might right off say no, but I have to keep searching, and we want to help small business people because we are one also! Thank you for your time!