Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2008 4:32 PM by NXGNXG

Helping others while turning a profit

elsa401 Wayfarer
      I was wondering if anyone of you out there had an idea of how I could operate an electrical service company while helping others in need. I would obviously still need to net a profit to stay in business. Is there such a thing as helping needy families while still being profitable? Please send me any ideas..
        • Re: Helping others while turning a profit
          DomainDiva Ranger
          You want to become an electricity re-seller? Are you going into one of the MLM such as Stream Energy or are you going to deal with the state utilities commission yourself? Do you have the money to even establish yourself as a reseller presence? It costs a lot of money to become a reseller. If you have that much money may I suggest starting some sort of a philanthropic fund and taking the profits and helping people.
              elsa401 Wayfarer
              Diva, I wish I had that type of capitol. I would definetly try to help as many families as possible. Again, I think my post was misunderstood. I must have a problem with putting what I think into text.
              Anyway, I am a small electrical company that does residential construction and service work. I would be interested in starting a relationship with a entity that does business to help others in need , all the while turning a profit to survive myself. Could this relationship/entity exist?
              LUCKIEST Guide
              401, It sounds like a great idea and I would like to volunteer to help you.
              How soon do you plan on starting, and speaking of plans have you developed a Business Plan.
              Please contact me at " pdeig@juno.com " Hope to hear from you soon.
              Good luck, LUCKIEST
                intechspecial Ranger
                Sounds like a great idea, my heart goes out to you.

Let me know if I can help, I offer free services to some non-profits.

Lighthouse24 Ranger

Most communities have a number of ongoing construction projects that would love to have your services (Habitat for Humanity, local churches, homebuilder associations that pool their talents to build/auction homes for charity, etc.). I know a non-profit that's trying to build a shelter for abused children in my community right now, and they are begging for volunteers with construction skills. There are probably things like that in your town, too.

Do you have any charities that are close to your heart? They always need services like that, it seems. About a week ago, we had a cold spell and the electrical system in the local animal shelter blew out (meaning there was no heat). They didn't have money in the budget to make the necessary repairs, and were concerned that with a freeze forecasted for the area, the temperature inside the shelter could drop into the low fifties overnight. A local supplier and an electrician (both animal lovers) heard about the problem from a volunteer, teamed up to donate time and material, and rewired the building for free. A short news release was drafted and e-mailed while the work was in progress. Every TV channel sent a camera and reporter, and all the local newspapers sent photographers. So on the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. news (and in the morning papers), people saw the electrician, the business logo on his truck and shirt, a lot of cute puppies, and a large group of adoring and grateful volunteers. He couldn't have bought that much exposure and good publicity if he tried!

People don't seem to like stories about other people in need as much as they do puppies -- so your volunteer work might not generate that level of free publicity. But if you pick something you care about, it doesn't matter -- and if you send out a news release, you never know. In the volunteer activities I'm involved with, I'm always surprised by what the media shows up (or not) to cover -- just depends on the reporter and whether it's a busy news day or not, I think.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.