Post a new topic
    22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 10:58 PM by DebbyBlitzLoc

Threatened and Cussed out by local business executive

Rising2TheTop Newbie
      Hi guys,

This morning I was verbally assaulted in a voice mail by a former VP of an old roofing company in my city. I am planning on sending the voice mail to all the local tv news stations and news papers and radio shows...as well as to the former company.

The verbal assault happend when I placed a stop payment on a $421.37 check that had been in limbo for a month and a half and the individual was notified via letter from his bank that the payment on the check had been stopped. I was afraid that the check had been lost so I advised my bank to stop payment. I did not to call the company to inform them of my actions, though I should have and have since apologized for not doing.

I woke up this morning to a voice mail that verbally assulted me and used more F**** words than Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit.

Once I am able to record the voice mail to a digital dictaphone I will be making copies onto CDs and mailing to the above said locations.

What are your thoughts????
        • Re: Threatened and Cussed out by local business executive
          mainstreetifs Wayfarer
          Definetly not very professional of this guy but I would think twice before taking this company down the drain. I would present this tape to the business owner and give him the opportunity to apologize and deal with the VP. I don't think it is fair to the business owner, and the other employees who would be harmed by a slow down in business, to hammer this company in the media. I would give the owner a chance to make things right before doing something so drastic.
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

I'm sorry you had a bad experience like that. My question would be, what do you really WANT out of this now?

If you want to escalate this situation by trying to humiliate the other person, you might succeed. Then what does HE do next? You have to decide if this is a fight worth fighting.

It sounds like he was upset because you stopped payment rather than communicating your concern to him. Contacting the media because you don't like what he said or how he said it (instead of telling him directly that you didn't like what he said or how he said it) is the same thing in a way. Do you think it will make him repent, or make him more angry?

It was unprofessional of him to leave that kind of message, no question -- but it happened. It's done. If you really feel threatened, turn it over to the police. If you want an apology, tell the guy. But before you invest all that time and energy to convert the recording, burn it onto CD's, mail copies to the media, etc., think through how the whole thing could play out (including all the other people who may be impacted) and make sure that's what you want.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
                intechspecial Ranger

I would have to agree with these first two replies.

It did not cost you any money for him to leave that type of voice mail message.

You might have problems with your own reputation, because you never know how the news media will handle it, or what his response will be.

Who knows what people this guy is connected with.

I had a similar problem, except the business owner I have dealt with has cost me money because of the quality of work he did. I have pictures and video, as well as eye witnesses to the quality of work he did. I contacted the BBB in regards to his work, and within two days someone was pounding at my door at 4 in the morning, and had some other problems.

To make a long story short, I decided not to pursue the issue any more, and will mark up the loss and damages from his work.

Does anyone know of laws that help to protect the consumer? It seems there are alot of illegitimate contractors.
                    DomainDiva Ranger

State consumer protection laws are overseen by the State Attorney General.

If someone you made a complaint against showed at the door at 4AM that is considered harrassment. I would have called the police. How scary that must have been....

You would also have recourse against the shoddy work in small claims court.

I too do not think its a wise idea to pursue this publicly.
                        Iwrite Pioneer
                        You still need to let the employer know. This person represents the company, and he is doing the company harm. Who on this forum would not want to know that their employer was behaving like this? There is no reason for this type of behavior.

I also think you should leave the media out of this. It only makes matters worse. I would contact the owner and see how he or she resolves this. Now, a word of advice: take a person with you if you go to this company, a person with a cool disposition. The potential for this to get uglier is very high. Be careful. And know when to just walk away.
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    To rise to the top, get over it. Life is too short.
                    First of all, writing to the web site is a good way to cool down and you will get great answers.
                    The second item is why lower yourself. The radio and TV stations will laugh at you.
                    You are a entrepreneur/restaurateur... 22 years old...College Grad
                    You consider myself to be a Optimist with a Realistic point of view.
                    Keep in touch, LUCKIEST
                      Buffalo Adventurer

The guy was a jerk, no question of that. But to escalate it to the level you are talking about is, at best, a waste of time, in my opinion. And remember that this could have probably been avoided if you had called and told them what you were doing which by your own admission you didn't do. And I'm sure that if it reached the media's attention it would come out and you wouldn't look so good either.
                      Let it go and move on.
                        Rising2TheTop Newbie
                        Thanks for all the advice :)

I difused the situation really easily by explaining to him why I stopped payment and encourged him to stop over to my personal residence to pick up another check, which he did and he apologized for leaving the message. He explained that he was fired from the company just a few weeks prior where he was VP of. He also thought I was trying to get back at him because he didn't allow me to return 2 pieces of product.

I thought about informing the company that he respresents, because he is a Dealer of their product (man this is hard without divulging the companies names lol).

We put the situation behind us, but an apology doesn't alleviate consequences. If anyone has a Sprint phone number you can hear how far over the line he crossed. I mean, if all anyone did was apologize, then we wouldn't need a legal system.

I don't want to defamate or slander the company he was just fired from, nor the company he is working with, but there should be a consequence when he told me that he was "Going to bury me in the F*****ing ground" and "Kick my F*****ing A**"

I am not angry by any means and laughed that he thought he could roll over a 22 year old (he's 30 years my senior). We both apologized, but he crossed the line, not me.

:)
                          CorpCons08 Ranger
                          You have received some great answers here.

I was in a similar predictament where I was threatened by a local CPA because I had drawn up a lot of business he was after. He left me threatening messages. The best thing to do if you feel your life is not in danger is to ignore it. Eventually they will give up and move on. By esculating it to the levels you are talking about you are in fact provoking further threats.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

CC08
                              FCPainter Adventurer
                              If you think you let him off too easily with the apology, I would go back to the earlier posts and think about what you wanted beyond that. If you want him to give you a financial benefit or something, then you need to lay out why and go back to him. I do think giving him a chance to make amends privately is important before you resort to public shaming
                                  intechspecial Ranger

Only going to stir up more trouble.

I disagree.

Iwrite Pioneer
                                    They don't call it the high road because everyone can do it. You so far have taken the high road. Let it go and move on. This person slipped, realized he slipped and tried to make amends. What is to be gained from anything further? Who knows, down the road you may really need him and because of how you treated him he repays the favor.

I showed up to a recording session that we were paying over $20,000 for. Well, the receptionist took one look at me as I walked through the door and said, "deliveries are around back." Without skipping a beat, I responded, "cool, if I see a delivery person I'll let them know. I'm the client." She apologized, I accepted. As a matter of fact, went out of my way to make sure she knew we were cool. Well, during a really rough period of time, I was super broke. I get a call for a really nice freelance assignment out of the blue. I do the assignment and while we are recording the radio spots at another studio, I asked, "how did you find me?" And they said, "so and so said you were a pleasure to work with and a great writer." The receptionist from the other studio was now a sales rep at this one. Advertising where I work is too small a community to nuke a relationship.

We need more friends in our struggle to run our businesses than foes.
                                        Lighthouse24 Ranger

Excellent point, Iwrite! It's a small world, and people move around a lot. If there's a way to turn someone who was "gunning for us" into someone who feels he "owes us one," it's probably worthwhile.

John Cleese (from Monty Python) suggests that the best way to deal with folks like the guy in question is to imagine that something unbelievably horrible just happened to him, and that you're the first upright object he encountered to take it out on. In other words, what if the media "spin" was that he had been hurt and out of work, his child had died, and he didn't have money for the funeral because a customer had canceled payment on a check? Sure, the unbelievably horrible probably didn't happen, but considering that it might have sure shines a light on that sometimes elusive "high road."
                                    fandmsearch Newbie
                                    Hi,
                                    The first thing that I would do would be to contact the business and ask to speak with the owner or supervisor. I would apologize for not informing them of the cancellation of the check, explain why I cancelled it and offer them a new one to make good on the debt. I would then inform them of the message left on the answering machine and who the person was that left the message. They may not have any idea the type of person that they hired or the way that person deals with clients. It's bad PR and no one likes a bad attitude in their employees when they represent the business. If the owner is the same way not only have you learned not to due business with them again, but warning your friends and colleagues would not be a bad idea. Submitting a complaint to The Better Business Bureau would not be a bad idea either. I always check the Better Business Bureau for information if I am uncertain of a business. I hope this helps and offers useful advise.
                                      youwhippedguy Newbie
                                      This youtube generation is thin skinned. Eevn though I personally like that guy, GET OVER IT.
                                        Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                                        absolutely release the tape and embarrass him - totally unacceptable.