Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 8:09 PM by mikehotel

Can I own a business in Mexico?

mikehotel Adventurer
      I am Canadian and wondering if there are any rules around foreign nationals owning property or owning a business/company in Mexico. I have met several people on our vacations down there that say they "run" a business, but have never heard of anyone saying they out and out own the business.

I have found a 10 room guesthouse that is for sale. When I talked to the broker, she said there was no real problem buying, owning and running the business, but when it came down to knowing exactly what, if any government regulations I would be subject to, she was unable to help me.

So, if there is anyone out there that can help me out with this, I would be most grateful.

M
        • Re: Can I own a business in Mexico?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Can I own a business in Mexico??

Good question. talk to your Lawyer.

Have you developed a business plan??
          <!--Session data-->
              mariastax Newbie

hi! i'am maria, yes you can open a business in mexico, but yes look for good advice! i have a business in mexico a restaurant, and the most important in opening a business down there is an attorney and an accountant, they will guide you to start your business, the attorney will help you, if you buy a realstate property or rent, and he will help you with all about the rihgts of an employer and the employee. the accountant will help you file all the correct paper work in the proper offices, those offices are like where they file the business name so you can pay your sales tax, whitch is the most important.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              JayStone Newbie
              Of course you can. Thousands of foreigners own businesses in Mexico.

But be smart, don't look for specific answers here. Consult an appropriate attorney in Mexico. And please don't take offence, but if you are asking that question, you probably need more help than an attorney can give you. You need good Mexican business advice. Go to Google and look up Mexico consultants. One in particular is really good, I think Mexico Consulting Group.

Jay
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  mikehotel Adventurer
                  Hi Jay,

Thanks for your input and don't worry, I didn't and won't take offence. I have contacted the Mexico consulting group and they have been incredibly helpful thus far. I have also been visiting Mexico Connect, a forum the deals exclusively with ex-pat information for Mexico. They have loads of information on the site.

M
                  mstephan09 Wayfarer
                  Hey Mike,
                  Where are you looking to purchase? I was just actually going to put a post up about a hotel opportunity in Los Cabos and would love to speak to you in a little more depth if at all possible? I am trying to create a business plan to pitch to investors or maybe a venture capital firm to purchase a hotel that has been built but not finished....
                  Regards,
                  Michael