Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 1:41 PM by dpeterson

How to effectively leverage your chamber of commerce

edusmart Newbie

WeI have been a member of the local chamber of commerce. We don't believe we have leveraged the chamber as much as we should have. We'd love to hear about your experiences in leveraging your chamber connection for leads/revenues. Thank you.
        • Re: How to effectively leverage your chamber of commerce

I participated with my local chamber for a number of years. A couple of things that helped us with better visibility and business are:

We attended the various mixers. While there were the people there just to hand out their goal of 20 business cards before they leave, we took the time to get to know the other chamber members before we made any attempt to offer out our services.

We offered discounts to chamber members and some we traded services with. This gave us more people within the chamber community an experience in working with us which in turn meant more people talking about us.

We would regularly meet with chamber members and front desk staff to build our relationship and let them know what was new with us. This kept us at the forefront of their recommendations list when people inquired about the services we offered.

I hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide (

Small Biz Break (
            snccigars Adventurer
            I have actually wondered about the local chamber of commerce. What exactly is their purpose? Do you join, or are you invited? Do they have requirements to join? Are they an effective way to promote your business?
              dpeterson Wayfarer
              I have been a Chamber member in Gwinnett County Georgia for over a year. The object with our chamber (and probably any Chamber) is to network. Networking requires that you learn about the businesses of the participants. As you meet and become friends with this group of people you naturally recommend their businesses to your friends and associates.

Their are three things to keep in mind when networking:
              1. It takes a long time. People refer or recomend people they trust so give your Chamber the time to get to know you and your business.
              2. Adjust your product line to fit the Chamber not the other way around. As an example my main business is Sales Training and I also do a lot of lead generation. Our Chamber has a much greater need for lead generation so I focus on that topic.
              3. Learn about everyone's business, don't keep pitching your stuff, listen to the other business owners. Take a genuine interest in their business and you will reap the rewards.
              Finally leave something behind or give away a promotional product. I give away <a href="">USB Flash Memory</a>
              from JDP Digital. No one else at my Chamber gives these and they are usable so it is a good reminder of my company and what I do.

David Peterson - President Atlanta Sales and Consulting