Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 2:43 AM by jessicanz

Is Microsoft Office 2010 Worth the Upgrade?

Barky Dog Tracker
      Hi All,

I've been using Microsoft Office 2003 since, well about 2003. I keep hearing that Office 2010 will improve business productivity. I have sales people in various parts of the US, and Office 2010 is supposed to offer enhanced collaboration tools.

But, their "Professional" package (which includes Access, which we need) is selling for $499.99. If I upgrade multiple computers, that would get really expensive, really fast! Also, I'm not a big fan of the "Ribbon" interface, which does not exist in office 2003.

Are you planning to buy Office 2010? Is it worth it?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Barky_Dog
        • Re: Is Microsoft Office 2010 Worth the Upgrade?
          snccigars Adventurer
          Have you thought about stepping up to Office 2007? This is what we are currently using (our system is not nationwide like yours, so this may be comparing apples & oranges), and we have found this to be a nice step up from Office 2003. I dont know current prices, but it may save you enough to get an upgrade without breaking the bank.
            snccigars Adventurer
            Sorry to double post, but I wanted to add that Office 2007 does have the ribbon. I did not like this at first either, but I have found that the more you use this the easier it becomes. Now when I have to use a system with 2003, it seems very strange.
                Barky Dog Tracker

Thanks for replies, snccigars. Yes. I have been fighting going to "the ribbon" since Office 2007 came out. I guess I'm getting too set in my ways. :-)

Office 2010 is supposed to make collaborating on a document or presentation easier. I think you can all view and edit the docs at the same time. I'm not sure if it's worth $499 per computer, though
                  bpfinance Adventurer
                  You should still be able to try out Office 2010. I recommend this if you are worried about purchasing it. All of the features are active in the "beta" version that you can download. Just search Google for "Download microsoft office 2010" and make sure the site is the Microsoft Site and not some spoof of the site. I believe all you have to do is register for Microsoft Live (free) to be able to download it.
                  bpfinance Adventurer
                  Also, I wanted to add that we all use Office 2010 and have since the beta version became available and we like it, but we are used to the ribbon since we were previously using 2007.

Have you looked into options of purchasing multiple licenses instead of just one at a time? This could save you some money depending on how many you really need.
                      Barky Dog Tracker

Excellent suggestions, BP! I forgot about the "beta" testing version. I just checked, and the beta versions are still available for download from Microsoft. This will be a very good way to kick the tires of the new versions.

Big thanks!

Barky
                          Tori Adventurer

Barky_Dog,

I am interested in trying out Office 2010 as well. I watched a video on the new features, and some of the new PowerPoint enhancements look interesting.

I'm wondering if I can have the Office 2010 Beta version installed at the same time as Office 2007. I really don't want to uninstall my existing version just to test drive the beta. Do you have both versions installed your computer? Are there any conflicts/issues?

Thanks- Tori
                            • Office 2010
                              Barky Dog Tracker

Yep. I was able to install Office 2010 without removing my older version of Office. It should work that way for you as well.

A couple of notes- Office 2010 will try to set itself as the default program for opening Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. You'll have to manually change it, if you want your older version to be the default. Also, you probably don't want two versions of Outlook running at the same time. In this case, I chose not to install Outlook 2010.

One other thing- if you plan to share with others documents or presentations that you create, make sure to save it as a "2007" or "2003" compatible version (most people have Office 2003 at least). Use the "Save as" feature to find these options.

Enjoy!

Barky
                          jessicanz Wayfarer

A new feature in Microsoft Office 2010 is the Social Connector. This
                          allows users to write emails while keeping track of their family,
                          friends, and colleagues by viewing status updates and past communication
                          history with the individual.

Sync features for Windows Mobile phones like email, contacts and other
                          integrationhave been included.

Office 2010 marks the debut of free online versions of Word, Excel,
                          PowerPoint, and OneNote, which will work in popular web browsers which means you can work online with word, excel etc just like in Google DOcs
                          Confirmed features of Office 2010 include:
                          • Ribbon interface and Backstage View across all applications
                          • Background Removal Tool
                          • Letter Styling
                          • The Word 2007 Equation editor will become common to all \\ applications, replacing MS Equation 3.0
                          • New SmartArt templates
                          • New text and image editing effects
                          • Screen Capturing and Clipping tools
                          • Live collaboration functions
                          • Jumplists in Windows 7
                          • New animations in Powerpoint 2010

Kind Regards,
                          jessicaz

Incorporate a Business Online, LLC.
                          http://drct.it/chptrgrp