Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2010 8:13 AM by Rest.Lee

Startup of Lunch Truck Business

Jfultz Newbie
      Hello i am trying to get help with starting my own lunch truck business. I have been in restaurant management for over 10 years now and have always had the desire to open my own restaurant. The last few years hasnt been good to me but i have the will to do this. I have no savings or credit to use but i have the vehicle knowledge and a mechanical ability to transform it into a working kitchen. I will bye used kitchen equipment to get started and pay for the materials needed out of extra money from my 2 jobs, but legally and financially i need to know what my options are? Please all info will be appreciated.
        • Re: Startup of Lunch Truck Business
          bpfinance Adventurer
          Well, there will be many registrations that are required. How is the truck insured? You will have to contact the insurance company, and let them know what you are planning on. Your insurance costs will go up.

You may want to organize your business as a separate entity. Whether you should do this or not depends on your exact circumstances (where you are located, what liabilities are involved, whether you will have employees, etc...) and thus it cannot be answered on an internet forum.

Have you done the market research to make sure that what you are offering is a service the market demands?

I imagine you have not yet created a business plan. That is something that you need to do as well, but from what it looks like, that is a little ways down the road.

When are you looking to actually start the business?

Do you have the personal finances to actually get this started? You need to understand that there are unforeseen costs in any business (regardless of how well-planned the business is). It is important to make sure you have the funds to pay for these costs.

It seems like you have a lot of work to do before you actually open the truck and start making food.

If you need assistance, feel free to contact me,

Jeremy Barfield
          forumresponse@brienprivatefinance.com

Chief Forum Response Correspondent
          http://www.BrienPrivateFinance.com
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Startup of Lunch Truck Business

Welcome Jason. Brent from bpfinance gave you good advice.

Another suggestion. Contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE and can help you with much start up info.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            <!--Session data-->
                Jfultz Newbie
                I know about score ty, am trying to get a mentor right now and my jobs will help me by the used restaurant equipment i have located for my project and i will try to use the camper as collateral for any extar $ i need for capital. i am going to use local vendors either flatland food dist. out of Wichita or my local coop here in Topeka, both of which will extend me a line of credit for 90 days. i am compiling a list of questions for my mentor allready have a partail list mostly legal. I am ServeSafe certified in my state and there is a mobile food vendor liscense i have to purchase with the city, so im trying to get the rest of it together, ty all for the help.
                Rest.Lee Wayfarer
                Try to talk to other Lunch truck owners not in your market. Pick their brains on the pros and cons of the business or even see if you can tag along on their daily route.

Talk to different suppliers/manufacturers of Lunch trucks to get advice/comments.

Good Luck,

Lee