Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 6:00 PM by snccigars

Is Hostway a decent web site provider?

snccigars Adventurer
      I recently received an offer through Costco to get a website done by Hostway. Does anyone know if they will provide a decent website? Are they reliable and do they have good customer service? The offer includes domain name, shopping cart and analytic tools plus some other features for $17.95/month plus a $20 setup. I am just starting business and cannot afford to hire a professional to build a custom website. All I really need is to get a web presence and the option to sell cigars to my local customers online. Any feedback on this company would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
        • Re: Is Hostway a decent web site provider?
          rross0227 Newbie
          If you are looking to build an informational website, You can do that with simple web editors or even a company. But you mentioned that you are wanting to sell cigars online.

Online e-commerce becomes expensive because you have to deal with online merchant accounts, (Paypal, authorize.net, trans-first, etc...) Then you have to have someone develop the cart or install a customizable one (oS Commerce for example is a free online shopping cart).

It breaks down like this:
          1. Static website (nothing dynamic, straight text and images) are very inexpensive.
          2. Dynamic Websites (Shopping carts, photo albums, etc...) Can cost 5-10x more than a static website. Because there's a ton more work involved. Also, these websites tend to have more legalities you need to be concerned with (PCI Compliant for example)
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            businessSIR Adventurer
            There are several providers out there that charge decent amounts for a website. I acutally use Microsoft Office Live, the website was free and you can always upgrade (for a fee) to a custom web address and also get a professional to do your website. Also I think that you have a great idea for a business I am into cigars myself...planning to go to the international cigar convention here in New Orleans. Check my website out and see how you like it to get a feel of Microsoft and its services...www.businessir.org. Also let me know about the prices for cigars, you might have a customer here.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                snccigars Adventurer
                Thanks for your feedback, businessSIR. I will take a look at your website. To use Microsoft Office Live, do you have to have Microsoft Office, or do you use a Microsoft website? As far as Cigars, if you let me know what you like or are interested in, I will be more than happy to give you prices. Of course we can ship it to you, and at this point we accept paypal. We carry Romeo y Julieta, some Rocky Patels, and various other brands. We are constantly expanding our inventory. We also carry a full line of accessories such as desktop humidors, lighters and cutters. Have fun at the cigar convention!