Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 12:51 AM by icebergtec

Starting an Independent Nurse Contractor Business

nurseloca Newbie
      I am an RN with 16 years of nursing experience. I have been doing agency and travel nursing for a couple of years. I am tired of having the middleman take so much of my money, and I want to take him out. I am in the process of writing a business plan. My question is: As an independent contractor do I need to have an EIN? My husband and I are doing this venture together. He has a business background, but information we are getting is difficult to understand. Also, with the LLC being in both of our names, how do we handle a ID number for him, or do we just need one for the LLC as a whole?
        • Re: Starting an Independent Nurse Contractor Business
          CorpCons08 Ranger
          Rather than start an LLC, you may want to consider starting an LLP. LLP's are reserved for professionals and share the same benefits as an LLC. The reason I suggest this is because you and your husband are doing this venture together, which qualifies you as a partnership. You only need an EIN for the LLC/LLP as a whole. You do not need individual tax ID numbers. Hope this information helps.

CC08
              nurseloca Newbie
              thank you for the information. I had not heard of the LLP. None of the literature that I found had listed that as an option. Are the legalities of this similar to the LLC? Also, what do I need to do first, apply for the LLP/LLC or file for a ficticious name, or is that an all in one deal, when forming the LLP/LLC? And, do I form the LLP/LLC first, then get the EIN for the business?
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

It's not surprising that you hadn't heard of an LLP. LLP's were invented when oil prices collapsed in Texas in the 80's. Until about ten or twelve years ago, only a few states recognized it as a business type, so most older business references and materials don't mention it. Even now, it doesn't exist in every state, and many states require that LLP's be professional practices in particular fields. Specific instructions on how to register and "create" your new enterprise (regardless of type) depends on the state you are filing in.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    CorpCons08 Ranger
                    nurse,

What state are you located in?
                    The legalities of an LLP are almost identical to that of an LLC.
                    You would first apply for the LLP/LLC, then file for a ficticious name.
                    You can get an EIN for the business at any point in the registration process, but I would recommend forming the company first.

CC08
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    luckyseven.07 Newbie

Dear CC08,

I have been looking into this site http://www.healthcareeragents.com/owners/ where you/I could start our own healthcare recruiting business. It is a one time charge for $49,900.00 complete with software, training for you and 10 other health care agents, the website, and the owners can share candidates and employers through a secure "Global Database." Even if you don't have a position readily available for one of your candidates, another Owner/Operator might, allowing you to potentially make an easy placement without much effort. Commission is also shared for the placement, the Owner/Operator still keeps half of the recruiting fee which can be $15,000 to $30,000 per placement, or a significant portion of the profit on a medical staffing transaction. 10 years ago this opportunity was $24,900.00, recently I looked on their site and it was $49,900.00 for the same opportunity. I just need to find a way to financially fund it, and I would like to hear some input from other people to see if they have heard about this company and it's reputation.
                    Thanks,

lucyseven.07
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    nurse, Good answers from CC08 and Lighthouse.
                    How soon do you plan on starting this business?? Do you have a Business Name??
                    Part of the process of writing a business plan is the Name, Marketing and Cash Flow.
                    Once the business starts, you should stop thing of yourself as an independent contractor and start owner
                    or officer of the Corporation. (whichever you choose)
                    You should also have an Accountant, A Lawyer and an Insurance Agent.
                    I am a Quickbooks Consultant. Good luck, LUCKIEST
                        nurseloca Newbie
                        Dear luckiest,

I am planning on starting by March. The Business name I have picked out is "Medicomp Nursing Services, LLC." My husband/co-owner is going to be helping and doing a lot of the marketing. He has started a business before on his own, but he lived in Texas at the time. We have an accountant in mind, and a lawyer. What type of insurance agent should I look for?? Or, is my agent for my home, cars and life insurance able to help?? My insurance agent is through State Farm. Thank you for the help. give me your e-mail address, because I may need some info on business and accounting software.
                        Thanks,
                        Nurseloca