Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 9:13 PM by Hymesdesign

CSS or Tables ~ Which Web Design Strategy do you prefer?

intechspecial Ranger
      My company utilizes the use of CSS design strategies. CSS is becoming today's standard for Web Design

Input from others please.
        • Re: CSS or Tables ~ Which Web Design Strategy do you prefer?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

CSS -- faster loading, easier maintenance, ability to quickly create "sister" sites, and a more predictable display in various browsers. What's not to like? (Probably that a CSS design requires more time and skill for a "do-it-yourselfer.")
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            DomainDiva Ranger
            CSS...gives the designer more creative freedom.
                intechspecial Ranger

Definition of: CSS

In web development, Cascading Style Sheets (*CSS*) is a stylesheet language used to describe the presentation of a document written in a markup language. Its most common application is to style web pages written in HTML and XHTML, but the language can be applied to any kind of XML document, including SVG and XUL.

CSS is used to help readers of web pages to define colors, fonts, layout, and other aspects of document presentation. It is designed primarily to enable the separation of document content (written in HTML or a similar markup language) from document presentation (written in CSS). This separation can improve content accessibility, provide more flexibility and control in the specification of presentation characteristics, and reduce complexity and repetition in the structural content.

Definition of: HTML table

An HTML structure for creating rows and columns. It is used for lists, specifications and other tabular data

CSS - The Designers Choice!
                  tokyov Wayfarer
                  CSS is a language for styling and simple scripting of styles. Browser support for scripting with CSS is very low but it's still powerful & will only get better in time. CSS is comparable to HTML, not tables. I think you want to know if people prefer Web 1.0 vs. Web 2.0 layout & design strategies. Web 2.0 is the only way to go today if you want your site to rank in search engines and also want your site to accessible to all users.

When it comes to using tables within your content, both should be used. It is not practical to use CSS (I assume you're referring to styling layout with DIVs, P, LI, etc. when you say CSS) in every situation. Complex datasheets and detailed tables should certainly remain tables but you should still style it with CSS, not HTML (inline tags, like font tags, etc.). However, when you are creating the layout of your site, lists with hierarchy such as menus or bullets, blocks of data, etc., should use Web 2.0 code today that's styled with CSS is the best way to go. Doing so, will set you higher in search engines, provide you a way to guide spiders through your site's layout, etc. and pages load faster when there's less code. You want the spiders to index your content, not your code. Using tables for the layout of your web site creates far too much code for a spider to parse through. Using a style sheet, the spider sees content, and if you use lists, acronyms, cite tags, etc. properly via CSS, you can get a spider to index every page if they can follow the hierarchy properly. Hope that makes sense.

Using Web 2.0 code & CSS is not something you can have a preference over. It is the standard today, and Web 3.0 is right around the corner. If you're using tables for layout of your site and to control design with inline tags, then you're about 10 years behind the times for a web site.

Lastly, consider this --
                  less code = less bandwidth per visito r= lower costs = more profits. less code = higher rankings = more unique visitors and search engine traffic = less need to advertise = less cost = more profit. less code = faster pages = happier visitors = customer loyalty = more profit. I could go on and on.
                    intechspecial Ranger

Lol.

That would depend on the capabilities of designer, and its implementation.

Not to say that I know it all, because in all actuality. I only know 99% of whats to know.

(People are thinking ~ Ya write, this guy must of just gotten of the turnup truck yesterday)

lol
                    heather24 Adventurer
                    Hi,

CSS can provide some compelling SEO/SEM
                    benefits. These include:
                    • Moving important content --
                    • Making pages "lighter" in weight, and decreasing the code-to-content ratio.
                    • Using standard HTML tags, such as <h1>, which search engines recognize \\ as indicators of important content, instead of fancy <font> tags
                    Thanks,
                    Heather
                      Hymesdesign Adventurer
                      This isn't exactly a one or the other choice in my opinion, you can easily combine the two to have a great effect on the overall control and design of a website. But I guess i prefer CSS because without it HTML would take soooooo much longer to make pretty, and changes would be insanely annoying.