Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 10:32 AM by amspcs

Need advice on defamtion/slander/libel

What do you do if someone who is out to discredit you writes materially untrue story about you? Suing costs a LOT of money, but ignoring it doesn't make it go away. I've been targeted by a few spammers who believe they lost millions when I wrote an expose on spam on a popular news site-- I did know that there would be some backlash-- just not to this degree. So you can fault me for being a bit naive.
        • Re: Need advice on defamtion/slander/libel
          amspcs Ranger
          You need to consider other options before you take the big step of filing a lawsuit. Perhaps hiring an attorney on a limited basis and attempting to get some sort of resoution without having to go to court.
          You need to understand two things about having your proverbial 'day in court': One, when two parties go to trial, the ONLY people who walk out as 'winners' are the attorneys involved. And two, our legal system
          has zero to do with justice and everything to do with who has the biggest war chest--in other words, if you go to trial just forget about the concepts of right and wrong, fair and unfair , just be prepared to hock everything you own while your slowly spend it over the next 5-10 years which is how long the process will take. So I say again: DO explore other options.