Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 2:36 PM by Marcus42

Guerilla Marketing for Manufacturers

Everette Newbie
      Hi all,

I have a touch dilemma, so I'll see what you think. I work with a small machine shop company in Detroit. We sell custom-made components to all types of industries (incl. Medical, Aerospace, etc) throughout the country. My boss has asked me to come up with some guerilla marketing ideas, which I have... about a dozen. However, none have been approved by him. He's asking me for more, but it's tough... we have a limited sales force, we sell mostly over the Internet and trade shows.

Do any of you have some cool ideas for guerilla marketing tactics that can be used by a manufacturer? I've researched several consumer-type companies, however we don't sell the same way that Coke, Nike, etc., do. We are manufacturing specific parts for specific customers. I was thinking about something web-based (at our site) but that doesn't seem very original either.

Anyone got an idea?

• Re: Guerilla Marketing for Manufacturers
          LUCKIEST Guide

Guerilla Marketing for Manufacturers

The concept of guerrilla marketing was invented as an unconventional
          system of promotions that relies on time, energy
          and imagination rather than a big marketing budget. Typically, guerrilla marketing campaigns are
          unexpected and unconventional; po and
          consumers are
          targeted in unexpected places.<su</sup> The objective of
          guerrilla marketing is to create a unique, engaging and thought-provoking
          concept to generate buzz, and consequently turn viral. The term was
          coined and defined by Jay Conrad Levinson in his book
          Guerrilla Marketing. The term has since entered the popular vocabulary
          and marketing textbooks.

Guerrilla marketing involves unusual approaches such as intercept encounters
          in public places, street giveaways of products, PR stunts, any unconventional marketing
          intended to get maximum results from minimal resources. More innovative
          approaches to Guerrilla marketing now utilize cutting edge mobile digital technologies to really engage the
          consumer and create a memorable brand

<!--Session data-->

Without knowing more about your company, your prime prospects and your industry, it is difficult to give you specific ideas that will give you the best benefit.

However, some things to consider:

Do any of the decision makers or influencers within your prime prospect category have profiles in LinkedIn or Twitter? Have you connected with them?

Are there any social or business forums where your prime prospects participate? Are you participating in these forums? Remember though, your participation shouldn't be just pitching people to become customers. Put up posts of value.

What trade rags do your prime prospects read that relate to your industry? Do you have any talented writers that can submit stories? Have you connected with any of the writers / editors to establish a relationship and hopefully get included as an interviewee in their articles?

Who are other industry experts that influence your prime prospects? What can you do to connect with those influencers to get them to speak about your company or endorse it?

There are a variety of options, but it really comes down to knowing your business, the value it offers, who most benefits from that value and why, finding out where they get their industry information from and / or who they respect, creating a compelling way of grabbing their attention and include a call to action.

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

Marcus42 Newbie
              Hi Everette
              Have you thought about possibly creating some videos of the different parts that you manufacture, the process involved and so forth?. You can possibly send these videos to prospective customers (new and old) to show the work and quality involved in making these parts, and you can upload them on youtube for free and have additional exposure. the other benefit of this idea is that you can place these created videos on your website.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful