Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2008 7:28 AM by LUCKIEST

How to write successful business proposal?

Alex Ong Newbie
      Hi,

I need some advises and opinions on how to write simple winning proposal for busines plan?. The busines plan should cover product development, project management, marketing, sales, human resources and funding. The proposal need not be too details and i expect to submit a 3 to 6 pages content as a start. This is an IT project and target timeline is 1 year.

can anyone help?.

Thanks
        • Re: How to write successful business proposal?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

For a small business, the best and most affordable approach may be for you to: (1) prepare the business plan yourself using free information and templates from the SBA, (2) seek whatever free input and assistance they can obtain from SCORE and other sources, and then (3) hire a knowledgeable consultant to review it and advise. If you will be seeking investors or a loan that's based on the plan (especially if you've never done that before), you should definitely have a consultant review the plan and help you prepare an Executive Summary for the loan request or investment proposal document.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
              Alex Ong Newbie
              Hi (Lighthouse24), Apology for not having your surname!

Thanks for your suggestions!. As a matter of fact, i have jointly done a business proposal for VC before!. Well, this one is not that complex as i am not asking for fund or anything but rather a partnership for further product development. Hence, would you able to provide something more specfic?. Do you have any links that you have work with for approach 1 and 2?. I do not think hire a consultant at this stage is appropriate. I might do that at a later stage when i need to bring the product to market.

Cheers.

Alex
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

As I understand your response, the purpose of the plan you are developing is not to guide your efforts or to persuade lenders/investors -- but to attract another firm that has expertise or capabilities that you don't (but that you require to move your concept forward). This firm would join with you as a partner on the project. Is that correct? If so, do the capabilities you're seeking fall into those six categories you listed initially? Maybe if you could be a little more specific about what your project involves and the expectations you have of the partner(s), we could provide better suggestions or "models" to use for your proposal. As for the links to free info, Luckiest and Diva suggested a couple of great ones.
                      LUCKIEST Guide
                      Lighthouse, Thanks for the plug for myself and Diva. It would be nice to hear back from Alex.
                      LUCKIEST
                        Alex Ong Newbie
                        Hi Lighthouse,

Thanks for inititating the response and i extend my thanks to DamainDiva and Luckiest!. Well, to avoid the guessing, i am required to provide a business plan to be eligible to take over a prototype developed by a big organisation. I will then have to continue the the development works and ultimately bring this product to a specific market. This is a software oriented Smarthome package which we will also need to market it and they own the IP for other market!. i will have to plan and bring in my resources by stages and therefore, some of the component such as human resource may heve to be further acquired upon approval of this business plan. Therefore, i guess at this stage, i still need to read a couple more successful business plan done by others if possible!. Before i put in my idea. I have done quite a lot of project on Customer's specific projects in ERP scope. I believe we have the capabilities but i just need to make sure i put in the relevant substances for this organisation to digest and approve it!. I cross my finger.
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Alex, Lighthouse always has great answers and he touched on SCORE.
                    I am a SCORE Counselor. SCORE is a partner to Bank of America and provides FREE business plan assistance
                    both online and in person. If you go to " www.score.org " there are 26 FREE Online Courses.
                    The first on is Developing a Business Plan. Others include Marketing, Sales and Cash Flow
                    Good luck, LUCKIEST
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      DomainDiva Ranger
                      Google "How to write a business plan". Check out as many websites as you can and don't PAY for anything, there is plenty of free stuff...keep looking.

Download the outline and make up a three ring binder according to each outline point. Start writing. Go back, fine tune. Put in MS Word. Fine tune. Then write Exec Summary. Go to www.garage.com and get Guy Kawasikis Exec Summary guidelines.

There is no such thing as a 6 page business plan, it's more like 20. The Exec Summary should run no more than three pages..preferably two and should be written after you do the business plan. Doing the business plan FIRST...gels your ideas and makes the Exec Summary easier to write. You should always submit the Exec Summary first, never the business plan.

It seems like a mountain. It is but you climb one step at a time. Don't look up...just keep one foot in front of the other while looking ahead.
                      1 of 1 people found this helpful