Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 8:10 AM by biosminer

What do you think?

karaokekrazy Newbie
      I have been officially in this business for 9 months now but have been doing the same thing for 7 years now. A DJ, Master of Ceremony, and a video editor part time. I happen to do video montage for events myself. Recently, I opened up the business offering DJ Service, Emcee (Master Of Ceremonies) Photography, Video Coverage, Event Planning and such; and got started with a website. I had clients almost every saturday from June-December. Some of it came months prior to the event, some came in weeks or even days before the event. Mostly private parties, weddings and anniversaries. Now that the new year has started, I so far have only 2 gigs booked for this year and I am scared in not making what I did last year even if I just started. I am currently with partypop.com as a vendor in their website. I did pass out flyer but only got 1 client out of it last year, almost all were referrals from friends and friends of friends. I did newspaper ad but I did not get a single call from it. This year, I want to be even more productive. Mind you, this is only a weekend job so I am not relying on it as a primary source of income but I want to make my name and eventually do this full time. Can someone help me on how to add more clients to my portfolio and if you can give me feedback on my website www.letsmakeamemory.net, it will be a great help.
      Thank you so much for your help and may we all be successful this 2008!
        • Re: What do you think?
          DomainDiva Ranger
          Rule #1: Don't panic. Panic makes us do things we would not ordinarily do.

Contact your local Chamber of Commerce, they would be a great resource for events...you may even be able to do events for them as well. Corporations/privately owned companies have events. Grab the yellow pages and start cold calling. I know cold calling is awful for some people, but trust me...you will live through it...they will either say yes or no.

How about teens birthday parties...hit the ritzy neighborhoods with some cute postcards for the doors.
            CorpCons08 Ranger
            I would suggest reading the story I wrote on here:
            Steps to take when hiring a Business Consultant.

CC08
              Adventurer
              Here's some feedback from someone who does websites for a living:

1. site is a template (goDaddy?) - uninspired, boring, certainly not memorable
              2. no search engine optimization to speak of (title tags are not even in place), so search traffic will be hard to come by
              3. contact info - where are you? I see phones, email but no sense of what locations you serve
              4. fonts change from home page to other pages (inconsistent)
              5. testimonials are lost on home page - break them out into separate page
              6. logo is blurry, non descript, and other logo is simple font treatment - neither of which say 'world class'
              7. 2nd photo is sized improperly on dj page - all squished
              8. music plays automatically - a big no-no (imagine I am at work, doing some stealth browsing, looking for a DJ, and music suddenly blairs on speakers!) Worse, it's at BOTTOM of long page, so I can't find it! I back out and never come back.

And that's my 5 minutes look and review.

Would YOU hire YOU, based on the presentation? Does it say 'wordl class, without compromise, make a memory?' to you?

Mike (www.miketruesecreations.com)
              Building great website solutions since 1999
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

This is one business where clients really do search the web for possible providers, so search engine visibility is important for you if you want to expand significantly (and I hardly ever say that to new small business owners).

Whether people find you through a web search or a direct referral, what they see when they arrive is one of the keys to converting shoppers into clients/customers. Here are a few things that seem to be missing from your site (compared to your competitors' sites) that your customers might want or expect to see:
                • Prices (almost every site prominently displays their package prices and options for various events).
                • Equipment (many sites have photos and descriptions of their equipment and set-up).
                • Terms, Conditions, & Guarantees (most sites have their terms and conditions posted, and some even have the capability to complete and submit contracts on-line - and offer substantial discounts for booking that way).
                • Song Books (many sites have the capability to allow the customer to log in and build the song list that will used for event, including dedications and such).
                • Advice (most sites have event planning checklists, articles, and links to help the client/customer).

The other key to gaining more clients is customer support. Many of your competitors are full time operations. The fact that you aren't may be an obstacle to growth. For a potential customer (the event holder), this wedding or birthday or whatever is often THE most important thing they have going on -- and some will be hesitant to book with you if it's clearly only something you do on the side. For instance, if someone is calling you right now, are they getting a real person who can help them plan and solve problems -- or a voice message? If it's the latter, they'll probably move on to the next provider on their list.

So . . . I'd recommend that you complete a business plan to examine the true potential of making this a full time operation, and if the potential is there, figure out how and when to make the necessary expenditures and improvements to launch this big time (lots of free help is available to do that). If the potential is not there, then enjoy the word of mouth referrals you're getting and accept that even if you're growing the business more slowly, you're still growing the business!

Hope this helps. (Oh, you can read the story "Get to Know Your Banker", too, if you'd like. Because you'll eventually need cash to expand, now is the time to start building/nurturing that relationship.)

Best wishes!
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  karaokekrazy, Like "break a leg" ,"that is show business" '
                  You have been doing this for 7 years. Has January been a slow month in the past??
                  Lets not talk about this being only a weekend job so you not relying on it as a primary source of income
                  Business is business and we want you to succeed.
                  Do you know about SCORE. SCORE helps people in business (FREE) to succeed.
                  You can visit a SCORE office and talk to a counselor or visit online.
                  SCORE Counselors will talk to you about developing a Business and marketing Plan and MORE.
                  Best of luck, LUCKIEST
                    biosminer Newbie
                    I financially survived the d.j. business.That being said I got out because I am an introverted robot with a fear of crowds.I just liked the music.
                    However...if you have the power of a true M.C. personality.Start selling that to corporations.You study up on their product and use that with your charm to warm up their meetings..rent your P.A. if you can,and sell them your party services at the same time.Good luck