Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2008 8:32 AM by LUCKIEST

Principle Office Location

mead5432 Newbie
      I am starting an online business and in order to register the corporation, I need a principle office location.

The problem is that I live in a zone that is not zoned for offices.

I am looking for a way to handle this issue. Since the business is online and any meetings with clients would be done at the client's place of business, there is no reason to lease office space. Anyone know what kind of hassle it would create to use my home address despite the zoning concern? Is there another way around this?
        • Re: Principle Office Location
          DomainDiva Ranger
          My principle office location is on basecamphq.com...however since there are still bricks and mortar I have a post office box at the Copy Box Mail location in my town. It is good since UPS isn't dropping stuff on the doorstep or in the driveway.

I would not use the home address.
            Ed O'Gee Adventurer
            I agree with the Diva - don't use your home address, go to the UPS store, you can rent a mail box for $12 a month and they will accept all your mail, your packages, etc. Plus you'll get a real business address. It is usually the street address of the UPS store and your mailbox number is the "suite" number people would use on any packages sent to you.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              moogrdotcom Wayfarer
              I disagree with everyone above. UPS stores and PO boxes are worthless for building business credit. If you have a customer facing address, go with a PO box if you want but for the corporate side of things, register it to your home address. When you apply for credit, use that address.

UPS store is fine and dandy for procesisng payments, receivables and the plethora of junk mail you will get but keep your corporate at a legit address. Technically you shouldn't have to be zoned commercial as you would just call it your home office. They would only make you re-zone if customers are on the premise or else millions of people selling on ebay to amazon or any other work from home job would be screwed.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                LUCKIEST Guide
                5432, Another suggestion:
                h3. Establish a powerful business presence with a virtual office

A
                virtual office gives you a prime business address in virtually any city. From the most respected professional addresses around the country, a virtual office provide you with a credible,
                risk-free way to correspond with
                clients,
                so you can better manage your business.
                You can get more info on virtual offices in the yellow pages or by googling.
                LUCKIEST