Post a new topic
    23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 4:45 PM by bigcloudmedia

Does a good/bad looking Web Page effect your decision on a product/service?

GFX Reb0rn Newbie
      I am currently working on a Web Page for a Mural Painter and I was wondering if a Basic web page would negativly effect your decision on weather you purchase the product or not. The page is not online yet so I cant give you a URL... The painter would like the page simple, just stating his mission and showing a couple photos of his work. Nothing involving flash or effects. I feel however that something a little more eye catching may bring him some more buisiness. What are all of your opinions?
        • Re: Does a good/bad looking Web Page effect your decision on a product/service?
          Ed O'Gee Adventurer
          If I went to an artist's web site and found a dull, non aesthetically pleasing site, that would turn me off immediately. Now I am not saying the site has to have a ton of flash, etc, but I would think a painter would want a top quality, visually pleasing site. Why have pictures of good work on a web site that doesn't reflect that good work?

Personally if it were me, I'd go for all the bells and whistles.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Does a good/bad looking Web Page effect your decision on a product/service?
            DomainDiva Ranger
            Art speaks for itself...how art is presented on the website is how the artist speaks for himself/herself and the individual abilities as opposed to someone elses art product.

Talk to your artist with the idea of understanding their art...not the website finished product. The website has to reflect the artist and their work...not what you think as a web designer is going to work.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Buffalo Adventurer
              Speaking personally, yes it does effect my decision just the same as a dumpy storefront location would.

My grandfather once said "you can tell how good a farmer is by looking at his barn". I'm not sure that quote fits in here but I always enjoy using it! :)

The image you project to the public is going to help make you or break you!
                Iwrite Pioneer
                Yes, it would. We like to say it wouldn't but the visuals convey a message of quality and value that help to sell the product. Your client is a visual person, telling is not the same as showing. It might be worth your time to put together a comp of what you are thinking compared to a comp of what he has asked for. Let him see what you are talking about. I am not talking about a full-blown working example, I talking a tight comp with colors and the typeface to give him an idea.

There is nothing wrong with showing him something you feel strongly about as long as you show him what he asked for. Or at least that's how I feel.
                  slavaret Adventurer
                  To me a website is a reflection of the business/person behind it.

I don't care for flashy effects. I prefer something simple, reliable, and logically organized. All visual efects in the world won't undo spelling errors or sloppy presentation as the latter have more to do with the person I am looking to deal with.
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

When I visit an artist's site, I want to see his or her work, not a web designer's work. Here are three artists' websites from which I have purchased products, and I personally think these are simple yet attractive -- i.e., "good."
                    http://www.danielpollera.com/
                    http://www.robertlynnelson.com/index.htm
                    http://www.mirkovichart.com/index.htm

Hope this helps.
                      xenopod Adventurer
                      Presentation matters that goes without saying.

I would think a challenge here would be to understand why they want a simple design. You might want to ask them that. Perhaps they feel a simple and clean website would be an assertion of professionalism. In fact it often is.

I think it is also worth saying that simple does not necessarily imply unappealing. It is often more difficult to create effective presentations with minimal elements then tossing intense interactivity at users who may or may not like that or expect it for the website.

You may also want to look at some of their art pieces. The use and absense of elements is often a focal point in art they may simply want an expression of their art in their website. Which they should absolutely feel entitled to. Does this artist not do work on the computer? When we have worked with artists and graphic designers for their websites we often allow them to either draw up their own interface or provide us with sketches of their ideal interface and have them explain their desired user expierence.

I hope that is helpful for you.

• Chris
                      Xenopod Inc.
                      http://www.xenopodinc.com
                        MobileMktng Newbie
                        Think its really a no brainer. Art is visual, so is a web site. The site should effectively mirror the style of the artist, (traditional, modern, etc), but regardless of the artist's style, its imperitive that it does so in a way that conveys quality. Furthermore, there is also a correlation to the market (price point) the artist is targeting, low range might require a call-to-action look, mid-range something that's sophisticated but not intimidating, upscale 'commissioned' type works should have more of a gallery feel. Nevertheless, don't let the artist confuse simple with shoddy; simple can minimalistic yet elegant.
                          Faerie Wayfarer
                          I do a lot of purchasing online. I want to be able to find what I'm looking for with enough information about the product and pricing and I want to be able to easily conclude the transaction.

Do I enjoy a well designed site? Certainly but it is less important than seeing content that supports the product offering.

I get annoyed with eCommerce sites that force me to watch flash intros or listen to music or marketing spiels. I am there to purchase products and I prefer a website that facilitates that process.

A simple site does not equal a boring or poorly designed site. When I look at artwork online I want to look at the art. If the website distracts from the art then it defeats the purpose of the site.
                            CEO Space Scout

The look of the web site is less important to me than that if I know right away what it is about and says something to get my attention and is of interest to me.

To prove this, a friend of mine had an entire campaign called "Ugly Web Sites Make Money" and he showed how you could create an "ugly" web site and make money. We created several just to prove it worked and it did.

As for your friend, he being an artist, that might make a difference. If it were me, and I was looking for an artist in my area, I'd search google for artist in my area.

If I got to your friends web site and it said something right away in headline print that got my attention like are you looking for art (maybe the type of art) and then immediate told me a bit about himself and then that this site was new and "under construction" but please look at the few examples of my work featured here and that you can see more of my art at this place or that place and then gave a contact number and email for him.....

I think I would be just fine with it.

I have gone to very fancy web sites and because they had so much on them and no one thing that caught my attention, I left immediately.

Also, remember this. The internet is a huge place. You do not have to get a very big piece of the traffic to do extremely well.

Iwrite Pioneer
                                I don't want to sway anyone one way or another. I am not trying to get customers or have someone buy my services.

Who ever said "simple" had to be boring or ugly? Just like a website can be over designed, it can also be under designed. Do ugly websites work? Yes. Do beautiful websites work? yes. How can this be true?

Simple, it depends on the product or service that is being advertised. We are talking about an artist's website. Packaging is very important, a website is packaging in this case and needs to be considered. There are too many studies to support this. I believe there are some businesses that need a great looking AND working website. This may be one of them.
                                youwhippedguy Newbie
                                Simple landing page is gppd enough. Try and write good ad copy and email the clients back with a autoresponder.
                                  intechspecial Ranger
                                  Well of course it does.

If someone claims to be a professional that should have a professional looking website.

http://www.intechspecial.com
                                      MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
                                      You can't always judge a book by its cover, unfortunately (or fortunately whichever the case may be). I do agree that the website should reflect a certain degree of professionalism, however it is used as a way for people to get introduced to you prior to choosing to do business with you. It's like saying you're not going to do business with someone because they wear jeans and a polo shirt to work opposed to a shirt and tie. Sometimes good quality service does indeed go deeper than the outside appearances.
                                          ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                          Why is there this great divide between "simple / ugly" and "elaborate / flashy" ?

IMHO a good website sits right in between these two- it's simple but not ugly, and it can use elements of flash to enhance the experience (but not detract from it). What most businesses need is visually and functionally equivalent to a new 3-series BMW but somehow they end up with a primered '72 Monte Carlo because of the desire to "do it themselves".

Iwrite Pioneer
                                              Because we deal in extremes is why. Laughing out loud!! Amen!!

Thank you, ModernGorilla. You are so right.

I find it interesting that everyone here will tell you to get a lawyer
                                              or an accountant for your business, but marketing/advertising is
                                              something you can do yourself. Partly because there is no certification process for the field, and I don't think there should be. And because some folks have
                                              had bad experiences with marketing /advertising professionals or people
                                              pretending to be "professionals," and that shapes their view. But when
                                              you work with a real professional you will come to realize the value we
                                              bring to your business.

No, marketing isn't brain surgery, but
                                              it can kill your business just the same if done wrong.
                                                  ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                  Iwrite,

It's true that it's difficult to know who is "professional" and who is not but it really comes down to a matter of taste. If more people would look at the websites of Fortune 500 companies for inspiration (and not their immediate, local competition) I think it would be a good first step in the right direction- these are successful, professional sites that are condusive to engaging consumers and support the marketing message of the company.

There is a lot of crap out there though and I think most advertising their design services on here aren't far removed from the FrontPage equipped "do it yourself" small business owner. Honestly, it gets me a bit angry just thinking about it (but I'll bite my tongue and just stay my course).

-Chris
                                            WWS_Creative Newbie

Personally and professionally, when making a decision to purchase a product or service an underdeveloped or basic website does affect my decision. A company's website, to me, is an extension of their level of professionalism and skill level. I will say that there are times when this judgment is incorrect, but for the most part I have found that companies who do not put the time and effort into creating a good website fall short of the competition who did put extra effort in.

This does not mean that a website has to be very flashy, use extensive animations or videos to make me feel comfortable purchasing from them, but they do need to have the basics covered:
                                            -A clean, cohesive look and feel (the pages cannot vary in design as you click around)
                                            -A clear-cut, easy to use navigation (no piece of information should be more than 2 clicks away)
                                            -Full contact information
                                            -No long loading times (especially on sites that are just poorly optimized images, not even flash/video)

That's just my opinion.

-Kimberly
                                            Worldwide Solutions
                                              bigcloudmedia Adventurer
                                              Good day all,

I think simple and easy to use can go hand-in-hand with great design.
                                              Overly flashy sites that take forever to load may look awesome in the
                                              end, but for users that don't get online all that much or people new to
                                              the internet, flashy and complicated can be a barrier for them.

A simple and yet creative and catchy site can work wonders just as
                                              easily as a crazy flashy Flash site. It all boils down to the design
                                              and functionality in the end.

I would suggest adding a little flair to the site just to grab the attention of the artist's clients. This doesn't mean complicate it but maybe incorporate some great graphics to help accent what the artist is trying to sell.

Those are my thoughts. I hope it helped a bit.

Koji Flowers
                                              Big Cloud Media
                                              www.bigcloudmedia.com
                                              "We don't just build websites, we open doors."