Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2010 10:56 AM by UncleLeon

Can a "photo" file be printed as a doc?

wordperfect Scout

Hello, I posted this a week ago, ran into the JIVE problem at the time, can't see it listed in my folder, so am assuming it was a post that didn't show........ BUT if I have duplicated it ADMIN, please excuse me.

The situation is I have designed a GATE brochure using PAINT.NET a programme similar to Photoshop and Coral Draw.

The results are generated at a paint doc file which is an image file but can be saved as a JPG, GIF or Photoshop file, so it is fairly flexible.

The problem is that as everyone knows, printing any form of IMAGE file is fairly ink intensive and as I don't need it to look a million dollars I wanted to print it as a doc and get more MPG from my ink!

Can it be done, does anyone know?

I did try to set it up in a WP, word-processing I mean, not my company! but it lost the graphics and "special effects" I created in PAINT. I also heard that if I convert it to a PDF which it will save as this is the same as printing in doc format.... yes?

Any thoughts, ideas are appreciated........ other than outsource!

• Re: Can a "photo" file be printed as a doc?
          Vilnius Industries Tracker
          hello word, i was wondering the same thing
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            It sounds like you're probably on a Windows-based system and using an ink jet printer. If so, then your print driver would likely be the better place to manage this and get the result you're seeking, so I'd try that first rather than manipulating it through an application. Open the native image in PAINT.NET and click "Print." That should open the Print Dialogue box, and if you click the "Properties" button there, you should get several print quality options.

Hope that helps.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                wordperfect Scout

Thanks and you are correct, Win 2003 server ent edition,with an HP desk jet.... I don't need high quality for this job so I don't need quite so much ink coverage either. But, unless I have missed part of your reply, when I follow the dialogue box "Properties" my actual print settings are still limited to photo image only.

Ahhh, you know how it is, sometimes you can look at something a million times and still miss it, so, just in case I am not seeing the obvious, can you spell it out for me, in detail.... as if i was 2 year old.... no, actually scratch that, a 2 year old would probably get it!

Cheers
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger
                    What model of HP printer are you using and what operating system? On an XP system, clicking File>Print will open the print dialogue box, and highlighting the selected printer and clicking the "Preferences" button will open the Print Properties options for that device. Most HP ink jet devices have a similar set of print properties options -- something like Fast Draft, Fast Normal, Normal, Best, and Maximum DPI -- each of which use progressively more ink. You click the selector for the option you want, then click OK, and click Print. Hopefully, that's enough info to guide you, even if you're on Vista or Windows7. If not, feel free to post more specific info about your system. Good luck!
                        wordperfect Scout

Ahhh OK, Yes, I see.

I was on the same page as you.

I use win 2003 enterprise server edition, but i think it is the same as XP, more or less.

Yes, I understand the options, you are correct, and I have tried fast standard and draft, but the problem there is, the quality reduces too much, the page comes out "lined" similar to a cartridge running out of ink.

I notice when I select "PRINT" the "Welcome to photo printing" wizard pops up, whereas in a doc, I just get a "Print" wizard.

I have printed other colour docs with graphics from this standard PRINT set up before and the quality is good as is ink use, but the photo option just seems to be so much less ink economical. The problem is I use PAINT as a simple CAD, so the designs I "made" in PAINT are lost when I tried to copy it to a doc directly, same as INKSCAPE, also saves as a photo image. I have tried the DRAW in Open Office but it just isn't as good as the other 2. Or I can't use it!

The ideal is to DRAW or design in Paint, Inkscape et al and then to be able to save it in a way that enables standard printing, the only thing I could think of was a PDF as it seems to be the only "Non Image" file option that the apps offer.

But thanks so much for your input.

I will get a new ink cart next week and experiment, will keep you informed.

Cheers

UncleLeon Scout
                    Why not just "highlight and copy" and then "paste" it into a "word" document?