Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 4:20 PM by nwe6233

Business Names

cgarbe Newbie
      I am starting a new design business and after carefully selecting my business name I realized a similar firm in California exists with the same name with an LLC designation (I live in Wisconsin). Can I legally register the same name in Wisconsin with an LLC designation? What other legal issues should I be concerned with starting this company knowing another company in California has the same name?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
        • Re: Business Names
          nwe6233 Wayfarer
          Hey, I wouldn't think since you are in another state and your also not an LLC that you couldn't start another company with the same name. But with that being said there are alot of other problems you will face if you do start a business with the same name. Particularly with doing business across other states, ie. if you try to do business with someone in another state and they already have an account with the same company out of california then your stuck until you can verify all information, etc, etc. It causes alot of confusion and headache and is just best if you just alter the name. Plus in the future since other said company was registered under the name first you will be liable for any legal actions from that company especially if that is a registered name or trademark company. My opinion its easier just to create another name I would be happy to help you think of other names. Hope this helps!
              cgarbe Newbie
              Yeah, I know it would be easier…it's just disappointing working months developing ideas and finally selecting a name and then finding out another company that does the exact same thing already has it, especially when the name is perfect. I just need to suck it up and start all over.

I would be very happy to hear your ideas!

Thanks for your help!
              nwe6233 Wayfarer
              Hey Chris,
              I understand what you mean I also had the same problems and ended up settling for another business name all together.(after the 3rd time) I would be happy to help suggest some names if you have a category or something I can use to start with. If you would like to email me a title or something to start with instead of posting it here email me at nwe6233@yahoo.com

hope to hear from ya,
              Nick