Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 12:36 PM by nwe6233

How do you develop your sales in Europe?

fbintllc Newbie
      My Chicago-based firm specializes in international business development. We are about to form a strategic alliance with a European firm. The idea is to offer all the services a company needs to develop and manage its European market. We complement each other as follow:
      • Revenue: we provide the sales and marketing expertise (market research, strategic planning, marketing, sales representation, etc.)
      • Support: our partner provides inventory management, small assembly, order fullfilment, tax compliance, and even recovery of VA tax (all in multiple languages!)

As small business owners/exporter (or exporter-to-be), does this strategic alliance make our services more attractive or should my firm stay independent?

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks.
        • Re: How do you develop your sales in Europe?
          nwe6233 Wayfarer
          What products would you be exporting? Anything physical? Are you just the advertisement, etc end of the business union?
              fbintllc Newbie
              We provide market research, marketing strategy, we can also look for startegic partners, organize the distribution channels, organize sales force, or represent our customer in a specific region. So the idea is that whjile we take car eof the business development, our partner woudl provide all support activities to make it easy for our customer (like a turn-key solution).

Each of our companies would include the other into their service offering.That would work for both, products and services.
                  nwe6233 Wayfarer
                  I guess the most important is the physical good, will there be a physical good?
                      nwe6233 Wayfarer
                      The reason I ask is that, if your businesses are both service related ie. no physical goods, then you stand a very good chance since the numbers for service related businesses internationally were only down I believe $3.4 billion from last year, vice a goods business in which they were down $11.3 billion or higher. The point I am trying to make is that if services related businesses can go through the last recession and only drop a few percent, then if your businesses go hand in hand I would say develop and prosper because all of us are starting to depend more and more on services rather than goods.
                          fbintllc Newbie
                          Thanks for the optimistic note. I do see this year a nice surge in projects; however, it is still not from American companies. I wonder how long it is going to take to US CEOs to realize what you just explained. The Dollar is not going to stay weak for ever, and the interest rates low.

Our goal is to provide services that impact directly the bottom line. We are certified by 2 European government agencies, and after 8 years of activity, referrals and repeat business are our best references!

So, I still wonder how CEOs today develop their sales in Europe. In this benchmark, I would like to look at their costs and processes they use and compare them to what we do. This is an easy exercise for me as I was CFO and VP HR before coming to the US 13 years ago.

I look forward reading your personal experience, and thank you in advance for sharing.
                              nwe6233 Wayfarer
                              This is true and we have been trying to help companies understand this for a few years now. Its hard to determine what "exact figures" to find when zeroing in on service related data information. Only because we tend to lean on others more for information, simply there are very few reliable sources for such information. CEO's we have dealt with in the past have information at hand that there company will acquire for them thgrough other partnerships. My personal opinion (especially if you have done some previous analysis) which it sounds like you have, is to focus on growth in that particular area of which your business partner works. With the ever growing communications and services industry, its best try and monitor as much public(consumer) data as possible. This link may not be related to you specifically but I think you should take a look at it when you get some time.

This is the european commission website they post consumer reports on various data collections within its own borders. You may be able to find the information you seek in this website. If the link does not work type in european commission into google and you should see it on the top page.

http://eu.europa.eu/internal_market/services/brs/competitiveness_en.htn

hope this helps!

Nick