Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 6:44 PM by phanio

How to start an optical business?

goodcitizen Newbie
      Hi,

My goal is to start an optical business. The idea is to open a small shop in Washington DC metro area including Northern VA and Maryland and selling very high end possibly european brands. Yet, I am in the learning, gathering information and planning stage. I will get my optician license soon. This business is completely different than my background and previous career. I know that I need to have a good business plan. I need to know how much I want to invest? I need an accountant maybe a lawyer. Register a name.

I want to know which steps I need to follow? How should I start?

What should be the minimum inventory? What kind of inventory should I keep in terms of frames, lenses, contact lenses and sunglasses? How can I get discounts from brand reps.? What should be tha maximized payment terms?

As a small optical shop owner, do I need an ophtalmologist or optometrist partner, real question is do I need their diploma to open an optical shop? If not, can I hire one as a part time/full time doctor? What should be the contract conditions?

Do I need any insurance to cover my business?

I will have more questions later, and I appreciate anyone who is willing to help.

Goodcitizen