Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2010 11:50 PM by bakvas2007

Registration/License to Start selling online

bakvas2007 Newbie
      Hi,

I am here on H1B visa. My wife is on dependent visa (H4). We want to start our online Jewelry business.(Ebay etc). What is the procedure to get the License or registration for the same? Do I need to set up the LLC? What are the requirements?

Need your expert opinions.

Thanks

KC
        • Re: Registration/License to Start selling online
          Vilnius Industries Tracker
          you can go to the county administration in your county of residence and secure a buisness certificate, then go on-line and register with the state and fed. so you can pay tax . then go get your e-bay and paypal and buisness checking account at your local bank. good luck !
              bakvas2007 Newbie
              Hi Vilnius,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. Can you please explain it a little bit more. Do I need to consult a CPA in this case? Do I need to start a LLC or Sole propritership?

Thanks

KC
                  Cronus Newbie
                  The difference between an LLC and the Sole proprietor ship is that the LLC is a separate entity. So if someone sues you it stops at the LLC and its assets. The Sole Proprietor you can be sued for all your own personal assets. You take responsibilty for the company. The LLC is the best to go. Futher, in the LLC you are taxed like a Sole propeietorship and not double taxed. The Secretary of State is where you go to register your LLC. Also, you will want to add you .com name to that form ....Doing Business As...the .com name. The IRS will give you a EIN number Employer Identification Number, that way if you decide to go with the Sole proprietor company you do not have to hand out you Social Secutity Number but only the EIN.
                  William
                      Cronus Newbie
                      Also in my state we have to file a Master Business Application after we file for LLC. You will get a UBI number when you register your LLC and that number acts as your license number. Department of License in my state handles the Master Business Application.
                          bakvas2007 Newbie
                          Hi Cronus,

Thanks for the reply. If I go for LLC, do I need to do some sort of publication in the news paper? Somewhere I came across that.
                          Do you suggest to consult an attorney for that? Currently I am in NY state.

KC
                              Cronus Newbie
                              I do not know about the Publication part. I am sure each state has its own requriements for filing. Just take your time and ask a lot of question. They should help.
                              Try typing in your question in your search bar something like "How to file LLC in New York" make the search minimal Key Words and it should work. I pesonally
                              get all my answers this way and some companies will charge you for this free information.
                                bpfinance Adventurer
                                In the State of New York, LLCs do have publication requirements. It can be very expensive to set up an LLC in New York so you need to determine if the liability protection is worth it. For example, in the city of New York, due to the publication requirements and costs to publich in NYC newspapers, registering an LLC can cost you upwards of $1,500. A corporation is actually cheaper to form in NYC because of the lack of publication requirements, however, the continuing requirements (annual filings, tax filings, etc...) are significantly more difficult with a corporation.

I cannot comment on your Visa status and setting up a company. You will have to discuss that with the New York Department of State (or equivalent office) or an immigration attorney in your area.

Good luck, and if you need any additional assistance or have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

forumresponse@brienprivatefinance.com
                                http://www.BrienPrivateFinance.com
                        DREAMER2010 Newbie

Please make sure you talk to immigration attorney, since you are on H1b visa and I think you need US citizen partner to start LLC or C corp. My understanding is that with your visa, you can work as silent partner who can not take care of day to day operations of the company.
                          YesYouCan Scout
                          you will need to register to pay sales tax in New York State. This can be done online - look up "New York State Sales Tax", and click on "New York State Dept. of Taxation and Finance" and then check "Start or Buy a Business" and "Register as Sales Tax Vendor".

For the LLC, this too can be done online - the "New York State Division of Corporations" regulates corporations and Limited Liability Companies. Once in the N.Y. State Division of Corporations website, go to "Limited Liability Companies" and then "Filing information, forms and fees"

I can not comment on your legal status, but I believe both sites will have information on who can legally file to do business in N.Y. State.

I have not filed, or done business in N.Y. state, but I have filed for LLC and done business in both Oregon and Florida. In both states I was able to do it myself, online, without problem. Try it and see if you get all the information you need and feel comfortable doing it yourself before you hire help. You might also try SCORE for free small business counseling and perhaps help in filing & getting started. Good Luck.
                            bakvas2007 Newbie
                            Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot to all of you for the prompt response. I really appreciate it. I will definitely get back to you if I need any more information.

KC