Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 12:10 AM by corpfarm

NJ registered sole proprietorship moved to NY

limazita Newbie
      Hi,

I registered my business (photography service + selling prints online) in NJ and now I m moving to New York City. My business address is my home address, and after the move it will be changed to my NY address. Since I already move out of NJ (and I do not want to register business in NY again), can I run my business as NJ regiestered in NY? If so, how to I pay my taxes?

I am told by the small business center in NYC that I do not have to register again if I do not want to, I just need to apply for the NY Certificate of Authority to collect sales tax for my print sales, and any income coming from NJ will have to file sales tax with NJ Treasury. They also told me that I will be filing tax return with NY but I will also need to file additional Personal Income tax with NJ for the portion of income that is generated from sales in NJ.

Would like to know if it is that simple or if there is more to it. Thanks!
        • Re: NJ registered sole proprietorship moved to NY
          corpfarm Wayfarer
          Hi
          First let me tell you this . Do yourself a big favor and incorporate either a corporation or a LLC please to stay in the soleproprietorship you may regret it later.
          Unlimited personal liability is no joke at least protect yourself with a corporation or LLC.

Now to your question, yes generaly you only need to file a certificate of authority when you do business in another state, and even that is not really enforced because of the uniform commerce code that give you the right to do business anywhere in the USA without having to file all these paper all the time. Most state want you to file this certificate so they can collect their sales tax. The certificate of authority is not complicated to have it's some simple sheet of paper you need to file that's all

*They also told me that I will be filing tax return with NY but I will
          also need to file additional Personal Income tax with NJ for the
          portion of income that is generated from sales in NJ.*

this part I am not very sure about it, but as far as I know you file where your company is registered. Unless NY has some special rules
          • Re: NJ registered sole proprietorship moved to NY
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Sole proprietorship moved to NY

Who are you?? Do you have an accountant??

Go to Members page and share some info
            <!--Session data-->