Post a new topic
    24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 9:51 PM by eJoS Mall

Home based business

sereneangelle Newbie
      I really want to start my own business. I would like to start something I can do from home for now and then take it to the next level in a few years. What should I know about having my own home based business? What are the pros and cons?

I was thinking of starting an online business selling makeup.

Thanks
        • Re: Home based business
          CorpCons08 Ranger
          sereneangelle,

I would suggest reading my article under "Stories" about Business Consultants.
          In it, I speak about some of the common problems faced by new entrepreneurs.
          I would be happy to counsel you on your new business venture.
          If you would like to speak further, you can contact me at d.skolnick@skolnick-associates.com.

CC08
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Tell us more. How soon do you want to start your own business?? What is your background (like education
            and work experiences)?? Tell us why selling makeup?? Have you sold make up before??
            It is always wise to develop a Business and Marketing Plan.
            Good luck, LUCKIEST
                sereneangelle Newbie
                Hi Luckiest

Thanks!

I want a makeup company because I enjoy makeup, etc. I have never sold makeup before. My background is Cashier Manager(when younger), Payroll Coordinator/Recruiter, Data Entry for Lingerie company online and Customer service.
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Maybe this will help, LUCKIEST

h3. 6 Steps to Small Business Success

1. Start Smart
                    2. Plan Ahead
                    3. Set up Systems
                    4. Seek out Sales
                    5. Aim for Growth
                    6. Leverage Opportunities

1. Start Smart.
                    Identify a niche. Don't compete to be the lowest cost provider. Look
                    for what makes your product or service unique and adds a special value
                    for the client and charge for that value. Every business has many
                    facets. Start with what you know and like; start a business that has
                    meaning to you. Keep in mind that we don't know what the future holds,
                    many of the jobs and businesses of tomorrow don't exist today. You can
                    create your own success.

Now is the time to dream. To start smart, you should like the idea of
                    the business. The way to earn a good income and build wealth is by
                    serving clients well, making their life better in some way-it's more
                    than filling a need in the marketplace. To succeed you want to test the
                    idea to make sure your potential clients like the idea too. Test your
                    ideas.

2. Plan Ahead.
                    People often ask me why bother with a business plan? Look at the
                    lottery as an example. You may get lucky and get the winning ticket,
                    but the odds are against you when you rely on random chance. I'm a risk
                    taker...but not that much, minimize the risk of going into business and
                    maximize your potential for success. Take the time to write a plan of
                    how you get from point A to point B. A plan gives you a clear future
                    focus and increases your chances of success.

The first rule of a start-up is put some of your own money in the
                    business. As the owner you must be willing to capitalize the business.
                    The second rule is put as little of your own money as possible in the
                    business. Prepare your plan and look for funding for your business from
                    multiple sources, which can include a business loan or business line of
                    credit.

Don't go it alone. Plan ahead now to build your team. Your team may
                    include a CPA and an attorney that you work with as needed. Add a
                    mentor from your industry and get a SCORE mentor to help you plan for
                    success. No one has all the answers. You get more ideas and information
                    by building a success, support team that can help you plan ahead.

3. Set up Systems.
                    The most basic system every business should have is a good financial
                    system. Ask yourself how am I going to generate enough income to
                    support myself and my family. Begin here. Put together a personal
                    budget, so you know what it costs you to live. Now, you can move on to
                    the business budget and sales planning, so you can see how many sales
                    you need to break even and make a profit. The start-up expense plan,
                    operating budget and your accounting software are vital to your
                    success.

4. Seek out Sales.
                    The daunting question is how do you go about seeking out your first
                    sale. Recognize that since you don't have a big ad budget to be seen by
                    everyone, you need to target a niche and get connected in your market
                    community, be it local, regional or national. You need other people
                    selling for you-not employees-goodwill referrals. Get out and talk to
                    as many people as you can. Join organizations that would have clients
                    for your product or service. Become a visible part of your market, and
                    then ask for the sale. You begin the sales process with people that you
                    know. Yes, it's okay to start with friends and family as your first
                    customers, and then broaden from there.

5. Aim for Growth.
                    The basic tenant of creating a company is that you own the company. You
                    are not just creating a job for yourself. It's less risk and less
                    investment to get a job. Building a business is creating a company that
                    is more than the job itself. Think about the future. How large do you
                    want the company to be in terms of sales, net profit and employees?
                    Your answer to each of these questions will influence how you grow.
                    There are varying costs and profits associated with growth. It's
                    important to make a deliberate choice early about how you want to grow
                    your company.

6. Leverage Opportunities.
                    Good luck. Good fortune. Good timing. All play a part in business. As a
                    business owner, be very clear about your core focus for the business
                    and how it serves clients. Your core business is what pays the bills.
                    Then, as an entrepreneur you are about opportunity. When you see a
                    potential opportunity or stroke of luck measure it against your core
                    business focus. Good fortune is great, when it matches your vision for
                    the business. Always consider if a good opportunity is the right fit
                    for your business. If something looks great, but it's not in sync with
                    your long-term plan and budget, think carefully before committing your
                    company's resources.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

"What should I know about having my own home based business?"

Running any type of business, even part-time from home, is work. So make sure to choose something you really enjoy doing -- otherwise, you may just as well have a part-time job.

Develop a marketing plan and strategy before you do anything else. Don't even file a DBA or open a bank account (and for sure don't spend any money on professional services) until you know you have real buyers for whatever you intend to sell.

Where do women buy make-up? How many buy make-up on-line? How many websites sell make-up? How many women would buy from you instead of them? Why would they buy from you? How will these women even know you exist? Too many home based operators have floundered from the beginning because they started up a business, built a website, spent money on products/services, and then started asking these questions. There is a wealth of free information and guidance available to help you get started properly and succeed (and lots of good advice here, of course).

Best wishes!
                    AbelSchoeman Newbie
                    Home based is the way to go! Too many people are realizing their lack
                    of time freedom as it relates to doing the things they really WANT to
                    do as opposed to the things they HAVE to, and working from home has
                    been everything and more than I could have imagined.

Find something you are passionate about that can bring service to many,
                    and then develop some new skills to assist you on your way. There is
                    really no secret to success, just old fashioned belief in what you do,
                    commitment and determination. And, of course, to have fun along the way. Just a few things I encourage my team to focus on consistently.

UBCOA1 Wayfarer

There is nothing wrong with wanting to beauty related products online and it could potentially do very well, however you might consider several factors before making your final decisions. A few considerations migt be:

a) Most women have preferences on colors and tones when purchasing their makeup. How will those colors transalte on a webpage? The the hues be true enough for women to find what they are looking for?

b) Where do you intend to purchase product for resale? Do you have access to wholesalers? Many of the major brands will not wholesale to you unless you can purchase volume and committ to monthly minimums.

c) Do you have sufficient capital or credit lines to make those inds of purchases

Beauty Products for women is a HUGE market. As are fashions and accessories. The fact of the matter is that womens fashion and accessories often have a markup in the 500% range which can be great for an online business IF you have access to true wholesalers and manufacturers.

Be very wary of many of the companies on the web that claim to be wholesale sources. Many of them are middle men who are buying wholesale and then mark up the product and sell it to you who has to then mark it up even more to sell it to the end user. That effectively kills the profit margins!

Feel free to cant me regarding my companies services. We assist people in establishing legitimate online businesses and pick up the start up expenses and provide the infrastructure for you to be able to run your online business in addition to providing ancillary services like payment processing and ongoing support.

We could potentially assist you in launching your online business without you having to spend a dime of your own money to start it. Visit www.ebcventureprogram.com for more info
                        champ_ Newbie
                        Take a moment and look at these sites. http://hotlink.myworldmoms.com this site is great for people new to home based business. If you want to change your life, and have a little more ambition, go to http://hotlink.energy526.com , this one is allowing me to quit my job, fire my boss, and gain time freedom. email: dean_gmx@sbcglobal.net
                          ginaj70 Newbie
                          I have several things that you may be interested in. Mary Kay is a good profit for you.
                              dubbsceo Wayfarer
                              gina,
                              I know Mary kay had been around forever and the products keep customers coming back.. It is a multilevel marketing approach isnt it? Are you allowed to have online presences? If so, do They "drop ship" for you?

I'm an entrepreneur at heart and have been self employed doing residential and commercial cleaning. I want to get into something online but am weighing my options right now. Gina do you have a webpresence?
                              richerich06 Newbie
                              Starting a home based
                              business is a great idea. If you want your idea to work better, make sure that
                              you choose the right home business. Home based business ideas grow into a full time
                              business with some hard work and quality time invested.
                                I recently Joined a business and was very skeptical at first. The saving grace was the product has true value. The system in front of the product is unique to the industry. These guys and gals truly Pull out all the stops to help you grow into a true Network Marketer. It has blown me away the level of integrity they have. I did not believe it existed in this industry. Other than in my self of course.

Check out the product for your self and see if has value for you. www.luxuriousamenities.com
                                  WhiteLopez Newbie
                                  Hi my name is Luis White I'm not going to say much but you can visit my site at www.whitelopez.com and see what we do it works very well for us and I can help you and like you I started at home in an appartment in Colorado and now we are in CA.

My wife also sell makup online and to off line.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or my wife Lilian at 714-927-0415

Luis or Lilian

Good Luck....!
                                    russellj Newbie
                                    before you make any decisions call me Russ 775-343-6524
                                      neetugarg37 Newbie
                                      hi, i am really very happy for you that you want to start a Home based business now . please tell me what will you have done in your education so i can tell you a suitable business for you and in what business you will be interested.
                                      thanks

neetu

<a href="| \\ |http://makemoney.bizoppjunction.com|
                                      ">Make Money</a>-Make Money
                                      \\\\

punjsb48 Newbie
                                        Sereneangelle,
                                        I have been working in a home business now for several months. Included in the product lines, which there are many, is the number one online makeup line on the internet and number 5 in the world. It is a very unique business opportunity and I would love to share it with you. If you would like to explore this opportunity, please check out the following website: www.quixtar.com
                                        If you find an interest in the site and want to know more, then I would be more than happy to explain the business to you and answer any questions that you have. The company has been in business for 50 years, is debt free, and allows you to have unlimited growth, I can be reached at bernhardt998@msn.com. My best wishes for much success in the future.

punjsb48
                                        bernhardt998@msn.com
                                          eJoS Mall Newbie
                                          Just some day ago i was read something about GDI. Inc
                                          may be you can read about at

www.my.ws/ejosmall

http://ejos.weebly.com/