Post a new topic
    49 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 6:06 AM by intechspecial

Mac or PC?

Bluesuit Adventurer
      I now need to do some light editing of photos and video files and am in need of a new computer. I was told that Macs are better than PCs for creative stuff. Is this true? Should I get a Mac? I have always used PCs, so how difficult is it for a PC user to start using a Mac? Thank you for your advice.
        • Re: Mac or PC?
          stephan Wayfarer
          Macs are usually better suited out of the box for graphic editing, in fact most companies working in the Photo/Media arena will use Macs. A cheaper alternative to both platforms is to buy a system without the OS and install Linux which comes in many flavors and is open source. I would suggest Ubuntu Desktop edition which is free and will provide you all the tools equivalent to MS office at NO cost! Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/
          )is an excellent open source software fort for image editing.

Hope this helps,
          Stephan
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              MDF2008 Wayfarer

*+I use both. It really depends what best fits yo
              What % of your business is graphic use?

• If it is more than 50% use I would suggest MAC for the long run. \\ \\ + Try testing some of the programs. \\ \\  Do you have a business plan?+

Best 2008

LUCKIEST Guide
              Bluesuit, Yes as Stephan said,
              Macs are usually better suited for graphic editing.
              I am a Quickbooks consultant and " PC " are the way to go for quickbooks.
              Happy New Year, LUCKIEST
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Mac is more "intuitive" and therefore very simple to learn for the applications you describe. The question is, how do intend to deploy your end product? If your end product is mainly for personal/fun purposes, Mac would be fine. If your end product is business-related and other people need to view the results within a variety of business computing environments, you may encounter more cross-platform, cross-system, and cross-version compatibility issues with Mac than Windows. Of course you get those when you edit or create within Windows, too -- but it seems that more software firms and developers are working to the same (Microsoft) set of standards to address and eliminate those.

And that's my main objection to Linux. Yes, it's cheaper and superior in many ways, yet precisely because it's open source, developers are not working toward a common goal or within a defined set of standards. There is no central "authority" for user interface guidelines, device connectivity, etc. As a result, you end up having to do quite a lot of troubleshooting with Linux -- and if you're an average consumer user, tasks like recompiling config files, editing SymLinks, and modifying the BIOS just to accomplish something like recognizing your system's CD burner can get frustrating pretty fast. And when you REALLY mess things up, it's hard to find anyone locally who can help (and when you find help on-line, each person has ten different possible answers and things to try, and in fact you have to try them all because any one of them could be right)!
                    stephan Wayfarer
                    Actually I will have to disagree with Ligthouse24, Linux has come a long way in the desktop market. Ubuntu was created (based on Debian) with usuability in mind, it comes loaded with Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) which asides from complex VB macros is 100% compatible with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word & PowerPoint). The Ubuntu Desktop (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/desktopedition) is a one CD install and is in fact much simpler to install than XP or Vista. I have recently installed it for a friend of mine who runs his own business (Windows had caught a bad virus) using an older Dell, installed flawlessly even recognized an older USB printer.

It also includes an installer which will allow you to install many other applications such as Gimp. There is absolutely no re-compiling required nor will you need any technical skills to install or use uBuntu, you can even try running Open Office or Gimp on Windows to give it a shot.

Remember, we are talking about a Desktop version developed with usuability in Mind and not a Server edition which will not even include a graphical interface.

In my opinion, in many cases Open Source software is years ahead of many commercial proprietary software simply because of the nature of the development life cycle.

Try it out and see for yourself:-)

Cheers,
                    Stephan
                        CorpCons08 Ranger
                        You and I agree on this.

CC08
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger

First off, TRIED IT -- I don't post heresay. I wanted it to work for me for many, many reasons. There are no less than 30 problems posted on various Linux and Ubuntu troubleshooting sites that are problems I had -- and about a thousand different things listed underneath that I had to try in order to resolve these problems.

Hey, I don't mind at all if you disagree with my conclusions or suggestions (it's what makes this forum so valuable), but I don't much like being told to "give it a shot" or "try it out and see for yourself" as though my experience with it didn't happen and I'm just making up stuff to write.
                              CorpCons08 Ranger
                              Everybody gets burned the first time they try something new.
                              Remember that saying though? "if you fall off the horse get back on and try again"

CC08
                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

If the Millennium Broadway had windows that opened, the crushed remnants of a Dell laptop with Linux would be laying in the middle of 43rd Street -- that's how fed up I was with trying to make it work with the printers in the business center and the A/V set-up in the ballroom (and then with any media SD that would let me transfer my stuff to another platform so I could actually do my job).

Linux is a bronco -- a mustang. Free and beautiful in it's own right, no question -- but for the average consumer user, that horse just ain't been "broke" yet. If you're yearning to rodeo, however, yippee-ki-ay pardner!
                                      stephan Wayfarer
                                      Well, now I really don't believe you have actually tried Ubuntu Desktop edition because there is simply NO Rodeo there:-) A simple install and it works in 30 Mins.

As simple as it gets:-)

Stephan
                                          CorpCons08 Ranger
                                          I've still got my loyalty to Slackware...
                                          I have looked into Ubuntu from comments I've gotten, but don't know if I'm ready to give up Slack.

CC08
                                            Lighthouse24 Ranger

Well, now I really don't believe you have actually tried it anywhere beyond the friendly confines of wherever you happen to be sitting. It works so long as you don't need to wirelessly connect to a client's or hotel's printers, theater projectors, and audio amps -- or upload/download data via the Internet within a presentation -- or livelink to Adobe Connect -- or control multimedia with a wireless mouse -- or . . .

My audience might have gotten a kick out of all the error messages, but since the best we could ever manage was one-fourth of the screen being projected, even that wasn't possible.
                                            CorpCons08 Ranger
                                            Poor laptop...
                                            If you don't mind me asking, what flavor did you use?
                                            I am surprised by the advances in user-friendly platforms on the Linux Kernel.

CC08
                                          stephan Wayfarer
                                          I really did not mean to say try it personally but in general to anyone in this forum. The bottom line, there are many variables when installing and configuring any type of OS. I have installed Ubuntu desktop many times and never ran into a problem nor did I have to recompile anything.

To answer the original post, the UBuntuOS + Open Office (comes with it) + Gimp (also comes with it) should fullfil most everyone's need. There will be nothing to re-compile, no config files to re-write using VI or anything or that sort. It is areally simple system to use, the OS was really designed to be used in Classrooms in Africa where IT resources are definately not as common as here.

My last install was for a friend whose PC's became unusable due to either a Virus or Trojan. The install took about 30 Mins, I then restored all his MS Doc, XLS and a few PowerPoint files from a Network drive where I had been able to transfer his Data, confirmed he was able to open his files and voila.

TO accomplish the same in using MS software:

OS Cost: $150-$300
                                          MS Office: $200+
                                          PhotoShop: $600

Ubuntu = $0 and will fullfil most everyone's requirements

Best.
                                          Stephan
                                      CorpCons08 Ranger
                                      I happen to agree with Linux-based PCs being the way to go, TODAY. As Lighthouse has said, any many other people believe based on some of the distributions out there, there are a lot of "flavors" of Linux that can be quite frustrating (they are development systems). There are however been long strides to make user-friendly distributions/flavors that make Windows look complex. Flavors like Mandriva, Ubuntu and SuSE are among some of the easier to operate distributions. The tools pre-compiled and ready for use, like Gimp and OpenOffice are fantastic.

I have nothing against Macintosh's either. Macs have some of the best multimedia editing software on the market. I fell in love using the advanced movie editting features that they have available.

Either way, let us know what you decide.

CC08
                                        NatOnline Tracker
                                        I use to use MAC in graphic design long time ago, but I am a PC guy, and build all my PC with the components I need or I want.

Today there is not much difference between MAC and PC. MAC is not faster then PC, the only advantage of MAC over PC is the OS a little bit more stable.

I can send files in PC to my printer in MAC with no problem for print, but I cannot run all my softwares in MAC ;-)
                                            CorpCons08 Ranger
                                            :cough: little bit more stable? :D

Have you seen Vista? lol.

Instead of their fatal exceptions from the 98 era and their illegal operations from the 95 era on, now they just have programs close themselves and send "reports."

"Dear Microsoft, It is me, Photoshop, I have crashed on Daniel's computer. Just thought you would like to know. Much love, Photoshop"

CC08
                                                NatOnline Tracker
                                                I dont know Vista, all my computers run with XP pro ;-)

Vista is intalled on my wife's computer, I really dont like it, took too much RAM memory to run that. It seems Vista is similar with what some people experienced with Windows 2000, an intermediary step.

I will wait the next OS after Vista in 64 bits ;-)
                                                    CorpCons08 Ranger
                                                    Blackcomb! lol.
                                                    I only have Vista because it came preinstalled on my new notebook.
                                                    I really crack up with the error reporting.
                                                    What does Microsoft plan to learn that they don't already know?
                                                    Their software is a joke. End of story.
                                                    An Operating System should not take the resources that Windows takes.
                                                    It is supposed to be just that, an Operating System. A shell (kernel if you will) that launches and runs applications.

CC08
                                                sirebral Wayfarer

Macintosh computers are designed to be ready out of the box. A PC ( I assume you mean a Vista or non Mac PC Personal Computer ) is not designed as such and so requires a bit more software.

When you are thinking of buying a computer I think what it really comes down to is 3 items.

Personal Choice
                                                Technical Specs
                                                Software Used

Do you want a Mac or a Vista? I would take a tour of local computer shops and find which one suits you best.

Technical Specs? RAM and CPU and Video Card. The higher the number you have the more you are going to enjoy your computer no matter which one you purchased.

Software Used. Some like The Gimp, some like Adobe. There honestly is not much of an OS incompatibilty to me anymore. The developer can translate the product if that is desired.

No matter what you get I suggest a very fast CPU. You can always buy more RAM and a better video card, but the CPU is the hardest to replace and upgrade.
                                                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                    NatOnline Tracker

CPU is not hard to remplace at all lol.

I will suggest a high end motherboard that can handle a lot of RAM and fast frequency like 1333Mhz and Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor.

Try to upgrade a MAC ;-)

generalmicro Newbie
                                                        Upgrading a Mac is actually pretty easy. It's just like any other name brand computer.

The base Mac Pro comes with 2 Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors, 1GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 16GB), and a 250GB Serial ATA hard drive. It's got 4 hard drive bays and enough PCI slots to do whatever you want.

Jason
                                                        General Micro Solutions
                                                            NatOnline Tracker
                                                            No, you can upgrade an entire MAC. You cannot buy another motherboard, because MAC will never sell their MB in retail.

"667MHz DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 16GB)" Lol not bad, mine can have 32GB ;-)

ATA connection are a little bit old, I've got a WD Raptor in Sata2, works fast. I wanted to use a SCSI HD but too expensive for what I am doing.

No need of hard drive bays, with eSata2 external connection ;-)

No need of PCI, everything is integraded, I don't even need a PCI controler card, and I can tell you my computer stay cooler than before.

This is what I like when you build your won, you master what you want ;-)
                                                                CorpCons08 Ranger
                                                                I spend my money on women...
                                                                Maybe I should focus more on my computers lol.

CC08
                                                                  generalmicro Newbie
                                                                  First off, I think we're getting a bit off topic with this. Bluesuit is wanting something that will do basic editing. He doesn't need 32GB of memory. He doesn't need even 2GB for that matter. Oh...and I was incorrect...its max is 32GB. You just have to buy it separately.

Next, the Mac Pro example I gave doesn't have ATA. It's all SATA, so you're comparing apples to oranges (pardon the pun...lol).

And for the PCI, there are plenty of things you can use PCI slots for, e.g. a PCI Express video card if you want to run 2 or 3 monitors.

Everything you can do with a PC you can do with a Mac...especially since you can run any OS, including Windows.

But, back to the original topic...for what he's needing, even a Mac Mini would do almost everything he needs out of the box. It comes with iLife which already has pretty good video editing software in iMovie and iDVD. As far as the graphics software goes, he'd have to buy that whether he was using a Mac or a PC. At least he wouldn't have to spend the money on the video software like he'd have to with a PC.

So, it's my opinion, in this situation, he'd be better off going with something like a Mac Mini and spend between $600 to $800. The base comes with a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 1GB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive. If he gets one of those at least he'll have the flexibility of running both Windows (which he's used to and probably has a bunch of apps already) and OS X with all the video editing software that comes with it.

You have to remember...when you're just starting up, you have to save the cash anywhere you can. $600 for what amounts to 2 new computers isn't a bad price and will do what he needs it to do. Besides, system building is really more for us geeks. (I'm including myself in that statement, so don't take offense...lol) Most people aren't looking to tinker with their computers...they just want them to work with as little hassle as possible.
                                                                      NatOnline Tracker

A Mac is begining to be a PC anyway, so why bother buying a Mac.

The concept of PC is buying the best parts on the market not necessary the same brand, that's the philosophy of PC enthusiast. There are many conponents you cannot install on Mac.

Whatever memory RAM you've got, the only existing memory Ram is 2GB so if you've got an average MB with 4 slots, you cannot put more than 8GB.

Back to the topic, PC or Mac it is just a personal choice for business, as you mentionned you can run every softwares on high end Mac with OS X, XP or VISTA.

So if you are buying a Mac to run XP or Vista I don't see the point to get one, buy directly a PC instead of hybrid computer called Mac :-)

CorpCons08 Ranger
                                                                          I hear that Apple has considered building MacOS X for PC anyway.
                                                                          Don't know how far they have made it on this project.

CC08
                                                                            generalmicro Newbie
                                                                            "A Mac is begining to be a PC anyway, so why bother buying a Mac...So if you are buying a Mac to run XP or Vista I don't see the point to get one, buy directly a PC instead of hybrid computer called Mac"

My point is, if he wants to do basic video editing, get the Mac because it comes with it. If you get a PC, you have to also buy video editing software. In other words, get the Mac and only buy graphics software, or spend more money on a comparable PC, then buy BOTH the video editing software AND the graphics software. Getting the Mac saves money in this case because you're NOT buying it just to run XP or Vista. You're buying it to run OS X, XP, Vista and/or Linux. It's by far the most flexible solution.

"The concept of PC is buying the best parts on the market not necessary the same brand, that's the philosophy of PC enthusiast. There are many conponents you cannot install on Mac."

What can't you install on a Mac? Name one component and I'll send you a link to where you can get it for a Mac. And do you really think Apple makes every component that goes into a Mac? The video cards have always been either ATI or nVidia, straight from ATI or nVidia...not some 3rd party. The hard drives are Seagate, Western Digital, IBM, etc...all name brands and top of the line. The optical drives are top of the line Plextor, Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony. For that matter, from OS X 10.4 on, you can install pretty much any brand of optical drive and it boots, burns, etc. I've got a Lite-On DVD/CD-RW Combo drive in one of my old G4s and it works like a charm. Apple owns Firewire, so they get the best of the FW400 and FW800. Why do you think Macs have been given the reputation of being more expensive? (Not actually the case when you see what really goes into them.) It's because they only use the best high-end components.

"Whatever memory RAM you've got, the only existing memory Ram is 2GB so if you've got an average MB with 4 slots, you cannot put more than 8GB."

The Mac Pro I talked about earlier can take 8, 4GB sticks of memory (yes, there is such a thing as a 4GB memory module and the Mac Pros have 8 memory slots). Thereby bringing it to 32GB.

"Back to the topic, PC or Mac it is just a personal choice for business, as you mentionned you can run every softwares on high end Mac with OS X, XP or VISTA."

You don't have to have a high end Mac to run Windows XP and Vista. I have a very LOW end Mac compared to what you get now and I can run both Windows XP AND Vista. For that matter, I can triple boot between OS X, XP and Vista if I really wanted to install Microsoft's latest bug (talking about Vista). Windows XP runs better on my low end Mac than it does on most of the PCs I've used.

So basically, if you want to literally be able to do anything on Mac you can do on Windows, now you can.

It definitely comes down to personal preference. I tend to want to do more while spending less. That's why I have a Mac Mini and not a Mac AND a PC.

As far as porting OS X to PCs...never going to happen. Here's the reasoning: Apple is a hardware company. Everybody hears about the iPod this and the iPhone that, but by far, the majority of their sales comes from computers. It doesn't make sense for them to start making their OS run on other people's hardware because then they wouldn't sell the hardware. That would kill their business.

Now, while it doesn't make sense for them to make OS X run on other hardware, it does make sense for them to make their hardware run other OSs. The more flexibility you can have with what your hardware will do, the more likely people will buy it. For years the argument has been that people love Macs, but they wouldn't buy them because they couldn't run their Windows programs. Now that Macs will run Windows natively, that argument goes out the window. It's one less roadblock and their market share has risen because of doing things like that.

Let's throw something else into the mix. Say you're Bluesuit and either you've built your own PC or had someone else do it and your video card goes out. What do you do? If you're not ultra-experienced with this sort of thing that can be a nightmare. Who does he call? Geek Squad most likely. And because they didn't sell him the computer, they charge him to bring it to them to fix it. So he's paid for the repair AND the new video card. If he's got a Mac, he takes it to the Apple store and they fix it for free (assuming it's under warranty). Doesn't matter what hardware he's got, anything goes out, they fix it.

Here's a better example...the power supply goes out. If you have a PC, you buy a new power supply. That still doesn't work because the bad power supply has fried your motherboard. So you buy a new motherboard, but that still doesn't work, because the bad motherboard has in turn fried your CPU. So now you buy a new CPU which also doesn't work because the bad CPU fried the new motherboard you just bought. That's a real situation I had to go through a few years back. Good luck trying to get any kind of warranty work done for your OEM stuff. I ended up having to eat the cost of a motherboard and CPU. If a power supply goes out on a Mac under warranty, you take it in and they fix it for free.

I can't believe I got suckered into this PC vs. Mac debate. All I was trying to do was help this guy save some money. I know both platforms inside and out, so I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've been working with Macs for 20 years and PCs for 15. I build them, fix them, upgrade them and sell them. Always before, when people would ask me what they should get, Mac or PC, I'd ask them what they were needing it for. The vast majority of the time I'd recommend getting a PC because of the software they wanted to use. Now that Apple has decided to have their hardware run Windows also, that's not always the case.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with this topic. I can't explain it any better than I already have and it's so far off its original base it's not funny. Some people you're never going to get through to no matter how clear you make it. I just hope I've helped Bluesuit with his question. As far as I can tell, he's not a "PC enthusiast" as you say. He's someone who wants to do more while spending less money with as little hassle as possible.

In closing, it's okay if you love your PC and you hate Macs. Stick with your PC. But don't try to sway someone else's decision when you don't have all the facts.
                                                                                NatOnline Tracker

I don't want to continue this conversation if you don't think out of the box, you are clearly for MAC so stay with it.

If Mac was so fantastic why the vast majority of people are using PC? lol yes that's funny.

That's even funny when some Graphic designers say I don't want to open adobe files from PC.

Some people think because they are using Mac they are the best in the world lol that's funny it was like that 15 years ago already.

Stop watching the Mac ads on TV taking PC people for stupid !

generalmicro Newbie
                                                                    Bluesuit,

If you end up going with a Mac, your best bet would be to get one of the new Macs. The reason being, the new Macs come with Intel processors and can boot BOTH OS X and Windows XP and Vista. Basically, you get the best of both worlds.

My suggestion would be to go with something inexpensive since you're just starting out. I have a Mac Mini with an Intel Core Duo processor. It was one of the first to come out with the Intel CPUs. I do a lot of graphic and web design and it runs the newest versions of the Adobe applications (Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, etc.) without any problems.

When I need to use Windows, I just reboot into Windows XP Pro on the same computer. To be honest, XP actually runs faster than OS X on this Mac.

Hope this helps.

Jason
                                                                    General Micro Solutions
                                                                      GFX Reb0rn Newbie

I am learning the Marketing trade right now and I am trying to start up my own buisiness and Mac I would say is the best choice. They are very easy to use as well as very fun to use. They are specially designed to do the fun stuff... but are very capable of doing the work stuff also. It runs all Microsoft Office tools as well as Apple's "iWork '08". Its a little pricy if your not going to spend much time in the editing field but overall.... One of the best investments I have ever made.
                                                                        DomainDiva Ranger
                                                                        My visual communication chief who also teaches tells me that PC or Mac is a personal decision. He works easily in both areas and requested the PC platform when I purchased new laptops and software for the team. FWIW we arre still running XP Pro, my CTO says it will be ages before Vista catches up with the ease of XP.
                                                                          Midnite Mac Newbie
                                                                          Bluesuit,

I am the "Publishing Systems Administrator" for a very well known company in Los Angeles, CA. I support 50% Mac & 50% PC's.

My persecutive/suggestion is the following:

• Go with which ever you are better with? Period!
                                                                          • I would suggest a Mac
                                                                          • These days, there are mainly Mac's in Edit or Art departments when it comes to any major company.
                                                                          • Any platform is relatively "SAFE" if you keep you antivirus definitions and software updates up-to-date!

(Due protect your investment with "Firewall")

If you need anything? My website can be found at: http://mule.midnitemac.com/
                                                                            MoltenJavaDev Newbie
                                                                            It will depend on what programs you mainly use. Adobe's products run better on a MAC. If you use MS pictureIT, then a Windows PC is the way to go. It will also depend on your pocket book as well as your tech savviness :)
                                                                              xeeker Wayfarer
                                                                              OK, Bluesuit I have an interesting opinion here! Go and look at the costs of the different computers! You can get a laptop with a Windows OS for as little as $499 ... you can get a PC with Widows OS, complete for about the same ... look at the economy of your purchase!

All you need is light photo editing. The program is available for PC's. The cost of the purchase with a PC will be 1/3 of that of an equivalent Mac. Also if you go laptop, better business laptops that are REALLY designed to be mobile, like Toshiba Tecra and Lenovo, where the harddrive LOCKS when it senses motion and tend to be "spillproof" ... these are all Windows based. By the way, when I bought my Toshiba Tecra, a month and a half ago, I specified Windows XP Pro.

If you were going specialized, "graphics heavy" I would recommend Mac, otherwise, gawd bless the less expensive PC's. This is a "capital expense" and the cost must be justified.
                                                                                  2go2Marketing Wayfarer
                                                                                  As stated in my above post. I am hosting web sites on MAC minis. They cost $499 for the hardware. Then the Server software is another $499. That means for under $1000 you can have yourself a website or websites, email, firewall, MySQL databases, etc. Try and price that out for a windows server. Or better yet, try and load Window Server on a PC that has the same hardware configuration as a MAC, e.g memory and processor speed.

What our company can do is enlighten those that TCO (total Costa of Ownership) is actually more for windows/PC variants than for MAC. The only negative aspect is finding IT folks for your operation whi understand MAC.

Brandon
                                                                                  2 go 2 Marketing
                                                                                  2go2Marketing Wayfarer
                                                                                  For bad applications that are more abundant, choose PC... anyone who uses a PC get a blue screen of death or error message lately? For less applications but more reliability use MAC. We run all our websers on MAC Minis. A lot of business get ripped off trying to use the familiar rather than look for low cost reliable solutions.

Suprising enough, our business internet through Road Runner is slower than what our MAC minis can serve as far as web pages. So we are now in the market of looking for a more reliable internet service provider.

Anyone looking for more information on how they can do the same and host heir site inhouse with a MAC Minis, feel free to email us.

Brandon
                                                                                  2 go 2 Marketing
                                                                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                    I have the ultimate response to the never-ending debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1418JfAwR4
                                                                                      RapidCapital Wayfarer
                                                                                      Macs are much more sufficient when it comes to the Graphics and Photo world. I just got my first one. Cant keep my hands off of it. If your really interested in graphics and the dimensions of it, get a macbook Pro, they can get a bit pricey but it is so worth it!
                                                                                        liveassistant Newbie
                                                                                        Hi Bluesuit,

There have been various issues pointed out about this subject.They are worth thinking about.

At the end of the day, what is important are the answers to the following:
                                                                                        1. What are you going to use the computer for - business, study or pure entertainment?
                                                                                        2. What level of computing knowledge do you have as a computer user? (Can you program in an accepted programming language?)
                                                                                        3. What computer applications are you most familiar with?
                                                                                        4. If you are buying a computer for business, who are your clients and would they be Mac of PC users?
                                                                                        5. Essentially if for business, I would be advising you to buy the machine which would best serve your purpose and get you on an immediate income stream without a very steep learning curve.

Hope this is of help.

Best regards.
                                                                                          Navigator
                                                                                          Bluesuit-- if you have the money, spend the extra $1-2k and get a mac.
                                                                                          The additional software, like Adobe CS4, will put you back another $2k.
                                                                                          Or just use gimp, the open source version for free, since you're not a professional.