Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 5:45 PM by Visionsoln

Who is Your Target?

Visionsoln Wayfarer

One of the most important things to do in seeking stimulus/government contract opportunities is to determine "Who is your target"? This is important so that you can focus your marketing efforts, which in turn will help you make the best use of limited resources. You want to get to know your prospects as intimately as possible. For more details on "how", please click
        • Re: Who is Your Target?

Although I know you intended your post for businesses focused on servicing government agencies, your statement is true for all businesses. Defining your target market is a key element to success. Going after a wide, broad-based market takes a tremendous amount of resources including marketing dollars products and services and is often best left to mega corporations. Even then, they must create some differentiating factor (having the lowest prices is often the weakest differentiating factor).

For example, if a retailer sells clothes, what income range, sizes, ethnicity, gender, age range and region are they best suited for? There is a wide range of diversity in clothing retail. Trying to capture the "everyone" market is best left to major department stores than smaller, independent designers / manufacturers.

Thanks, Visionsoln, for sharing a key point.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

Visionsoln Wayfarer
              Hi Doug-

You are absolutely right - this approach is appropriate for reaching any market, not just government. I appreciate your thoughtful comments (and the other comments as well). Sometimes, small biz owners take a random approach to pursuing new business opportunities. Many of the approaches that are taken for granted from a corporate perspective can be scaled down and work also in a small biz environment.

Best, Felicia Watlington
              Supplier Diversity Works LLC
              dpeterson Wayfarer

It's a given that finding a specific target market that has a set of needs to be fulfilled can make a sales representatives year. It requires identifying the target, surveying the target, testing the target, and ultimately running an effective sales and marketing campaign.

During my web based sales training I try to focus on "identifying" the target. The reason is sales representatives have limited resources, especially time. Also, they need to show almost immediate results so picking the correct target is one of their keys to success.

Before I even show sales reps the various databases and tools available for seeking out and tracking prospects I expect them to sit down with their business coach, manager, colleague, mentor, or even family members and try to seriously narrow who would want the product. Who actually needs your product? I encourage them to keep drilling down until they end up with a small group that they can they start calling with surveys and testing messages.

Finding the right target market is hard work. My advice is brainstorm with as many people in your sphere of influence as possible. What attracted me to this post is that I got stopped this morning for a quick brainstorming session for client of a colleague. You don't have to pick the target yourself, enlist others early and often.

David Peterson - President Atlanta Sales and Consulting
              Our web based sales training can be found here:

I agree. Having been in sales and in sales management for a number of years, I saw less effective salespeople use "limited time" as an excuse to get out there and just start selling to whomever would buy from them, while the experienced, more effective salespeople picked their targets through referrals and brainstorming with other pros within the same market segment.

The less effective salespeople only lasted as long as the market remained fat with disposable income. Once the market tightened up, the less effective salespeople looked for new jobs while the more effective salespeople gained market share.

BTW - I interview solo entrepreneurs on my blog. By the looks of the profile on your site, you're a fit. If you are interested, please let me know.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

ilyab0dner Wayfarer
                  A lot of my clients are starting to use the voice broadcasting (robo
                  calls) a lot now. From politicians to "general annoucements", my
                  clients load up a list of clients and send out a prerecorded messages
                  to thousands of recipients for less than $100. It is a very effective
                  way to reach the masses, and not have to sit and hand dial each one
                  telling about some exciting feature.

I can show an example, feel free to email me at

Ilya Bodner