Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 9:21 PM by attran1

selling online

attran1 Newbie
      I have an online ebay store which is also registered as an LLC. Since my store is now an LLC, do I need to start charging tax when I sell an item? thank you
        • Re: selling online
          LUCKIEST Guide
          selling online

Who are you?? Go to Members page and share some info.

Do you have an accountant??
          <!--Session data-->
            Navigator
            If you're in the US, your organization status is independent of whether you charge sales tax. But ask your accountant!
                Wayfarer
                You should have been charging tax all along. You need to get a resale certificate from your state and file a monthly sales tax report and payment.

It is important that you have a tax number so that you don't have to pay tax when you buy products. That should save you some money weather you build or buy your products.

The fines and penalties are much worse if you get caught not paying sales tax than the small amount of work to do it correctly.
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    attran1 Newbie
                    Thanks Bobsmith- I did register for a tax ID and do not need to pay tax when I purchase my items. I was told by the registered agent of my LLC that I do not need to file tax report monthly but only annually. So I do need to charge tax when I sale an item on my ebay store and file monthly tax report? Can you tell me more about this? thank you
                        Wayfarer
                        You will need to check with your state. But typically you only need to collect tax when the buyer is in your state. So in most cases on ebay you won't have to collect tax.

I don't use ebay much but I am sure they have that in the store settings.

Otherwise it sounds like you have it all covered. Just file your tax report each year and pay the sales tax that you do collect. The exact amount and rules should be provided to you when you registered for the resale id.

It is different in every state and city, so you need the specific information they provide.