Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2007 3:36 AM by CorpCons08

Advertising for my Advertising Business

amynwesley Adventurer
      Sometimes I feel as if i have exhausted all possible marketing options. I know every small business goes through that time where the phone stops ringing, the emails stop coming and people seem to get lured away rather than lured in.What are some tips for getting over these humps, attracting more customers and keeping the ones you do have?
        • Re: Advertising for my Advertising Business
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Amy, Tell us more. What are you marketing?? How long have you been in business??
          Why has the phone stopped ringing and most important WHY have people CUSTOMERS??)
          seem to get lured away rather than lured in.
          You need to tell us a lot more. The more you share with us, the better we can help get you and your
          business back on the success track.
          LUCKIEST
            CorpCons08 Ranger
            I find it ironic that you are an advertising business asking for advice on advertising.
            What type of advertising do you do for clients? Why isn't it working for you?
            If I was a potential client right now, I would be nervous if your advertising wasn't working.

CC08
                amynwesley Adventurer

This question has nothing to do with the services I offer. It has more to do with attracting customers and taking my business one step further, about meeting the right people and about networking. I don't need you to tell me how to advertise or what to advertise or how to create my advertisements or even how to be creative. That wan't my question. My question was about attracting more customers and keeping the ones I have managed to get.
                  amynwesley Adventurer
                  I create and design, flyers, brochures, newsletters and business cards using either information the company has provided or if they are in need of it, I create something for them. I don't sell advertisements. Once my services have been completed it is then up to my customer to deliver these marketing tools to there potential customers. I don't do this for them. Also I never said that my current campaign wasn't working. Through direct marketing and networking I get good results however I know that these aren't the only ways to market your business.
                  CorpCons08 Ranger
                  amy,

Here is a user on the front page having problems with advertising.
                  Might be a good opportunity for you. Lets see what you're all about.

MARKETING/ADVERTISING

CC08
                      LUCKIEST Guide
                      CC08, When will I learn. First I jump in with an answer, then I go to Amy's Member page and read:

A few words about me and my business:

Nickels
                      and Dimes Advertising designs, creates and prints original brochures,
                      flyers, newsletters, business cards and stationary for business and
                      personal use at discounted rate. We also produce a brochure called
                      Nickels and Dimes in which we place business and personal
                      advertisements plus interesting pieces to read.

So what does Amy want from us or maybe it is the first New Years joke on us.
                      Happy New Year, LUCKIEST
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

It's a common problem for small client/project-based businesses like advertising (and consulting). When we're busy, we're really busy -- and don't have time to market aggressively. So when the project ends, we hit a lull, have time to market, start generating leads, win projects, and get busy again. It's a roller coaster cycle.

One solution I started implementing about 12 years ago was to create secondary streams of revenue that supplement my primary income. These might include applying existing knowledge in a different venue (like teaching a class at a local college or university), as well as applying business principles to a hobby I enjoyed anyway (like refitting sailboats or playing guitar).

Another solution I adopted was focusing more on a long-term marketing plan. When I first went out on my own, I concentrated almost exclusively on attracting and winning the next big client/project, but now I formally plan two years out -- we really think about how to "court" and win clients that we may not have until 18 - 24 months from now (but when we get them, it won't be for a single project but rather for retainer work, extended engagements, mentoring relationships, subscription services, etc. -- i.e., business that is sustainable for years to come).

Hope this helps some. Best wishes.