Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 6:37 PM by Global_US

Are Reators a good source?

SunbeltLLC Newbie
      I am a contractor in need of work. How can I use Realtors to help get me work and/or referrals?
        • Re: Are Reators a good source?
          DomainDiva Ranger
          You need a portfolio of your work. Contact the 'higher end' realtors and those realtors who have signs in neighborhoods that are 'turning over'. When daling with these realtors always be on the 'business casual' side of the contractor, pressed jeans, starched shirts, really nice portfolio....

Do some research on the relators using the Sunday Real Estate Section of your local newspaper. Also go to the open houses for existing homes and start chatting everyone up you meet and leave a card or a nice little brochure.

A great example of a neighborhood turning over is Morrisdale Estates in Euless Texas (near DFW). The home were up scale in the early 1960s when built and the area is beautiful but the homes are in need of repair. So people that are in their 30's or 40's that want to be in that area and have extra money will buy and renovate. That's where you come in.

I say this because this AM we looked at a house in that area. Loved the floor plan, but the aged pink tile bathrooms, rose colored carpet, old tubs and cracks in the walls as well as some serious roof issues make this impossible for someone in the older age bracket (such as I am). Like I told my husband, if I was 20 years younger, had the money, no sense and wanted to be in that area I would make an offer now.

Good Luck.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer
            It really is all about networking! Start attending local Realtor events, talk to the Chamber of Commerce in your area to find out where and when they are held. Word of mouth is HUGE in your business! Getting to know a few established, respected realtors will open many doors for you! Hit the streets, start visiting your local Realty offices and talk to the agents. The idea is to become a familiar face and name! Try bringing muffins with you to a few of the larger Realty offices in your area. Sounds like brown nosing, but it works!

RealAZ Newbie
              As a realtor, I am the goto person for my clients for referrals. I refer to Handymen, Contractors, Painters, Title Agents, Home Warranty Companies, Mortgage Brokers, Home Inspectors, Termite Companies, Mold Inspectors, Water Restoration Companies, you name it! I only refer to people I personally know and like their work ethics. So, YES! Get to know some Realtors in your area.
                Global_US Newbie
                As an Ex Realtor in the Phoenix area I can provide you with an unbiased opinion. ABSOLUTELY! Realtors are the first person in contact with home owners wanting to list their properties and are always asking the Realtor for their recommendations, etc. - Depending on where you are located, I would recommend visiting the Realtor's Association in your area. For instance, I was a part of the South East Valley Realtor's Association (SEVRAR). There were many home inspectors and insurance agents that paid to become an affiliate of the organization and got a ton of work from them.

It would be a great investment for you and you will also have a list of all the Realtor's in your area where you can then send them an e-mail or contact them personally to introduce yourself.

I now live in Wisconsin and was contemplating getting a license here but my other business is doing well so I have held off.

Hope this helps.

George Galvan
                Global US Marketing Services