This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2010 5:48 PM by Marcus42 RSS

Looking for creative ideas to market a product

madden11 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Let me start out by saying that I found this site 2 hours ago and I can't get off. I love all of the ideas people bring to the table for everyone's questions.

I currently own a small orgainc lawn care company and as you can imagine my business all but stops in the winter. (I'll take marketing ideas for that as well :) ) I decided to get into the all natural compressed fire log business. There are only 3 other businesses in my state that sell the same product all of which are no where near me and the closest business that sells a competitors product is about 40 min. away.

So far my advertising has consisted of flyers on local bulletin boards which there are not that many around, Craigslist, letters and e mails to current customers (where all of my few sales have come from) and getting a small classified ad in a local paper this coming week. I am currently setting up a web site.

My question is how can I market it by being creative with it?

Thank you!!

• Re: Looking for creative ideas to market a product
    LUCKIEST Master
    Looking for creative ideas

Who are you?? Where are you??

I can help with a marketing plan.

LUCKIEST
    <!--Session data-->
    Marketing1 Newbie
    A few ideas:
    Offer your current customers a bonus for referring new clients to you. For the ones who refer for the log business i.e. offer them the pruning of one tree no larger than x by y. For the ones who refer fire lawn customers offer them a bonus of firelogs (if they can't use them themselves they can give them to someone for Christmas).

Not knowing where you are located is a bit of an issue in the current economic climate but...

Approach realtors to give a gift of firelogs to purchasers in the winter time and 1 lawn service in the summer....who wouldn't like to have their lawn taken care of when they first move into their new house. Make sure you provide the realtor with a professional looking certificate for the home owner that gives they the opportunity to continue with your service and a special offer for the first month or some other special offer. Cross promote the businesses on all marketing materials. If a realtor is interested I would offer to provide a gift basket...the winter one would have hot chocolate mix and mugs and marshmallows etc and the summer one margarita mix and plastic glasses.

Direct mail also works very well if it's carefully worded and designed to let them know how the firelogs will make their use of their fireplace...more environmentally friendly, clean their chimney, easier to start their fire, less mess...whatever the overwhelming benefit to them is and you mail only to neighbourhoods that have single family homes with fireplaces.

Contact the boy scouts or a local sports team and see if they are interested in a promotion where they sell the logs for a percentage of the net..you may make less initially but you end up with lots of goodwill and a lot higher profile in the community. You may be able to get the local media to give it a write up for free.

Be clear on what you want to accomplish and have all the details worked out beforehand.

Good luck,
    Nancy
    http://www.notabenemarketing.com
    first ponder, then dare

DebbyBlitzLoc Novice

Some great ideas! You should also consider creating a twitter account! You can search profiles and "follow" those that may seem to fit your customer base. Usually they will return the favor and follow you! Then you can create a contest of sorts, offer a discount or a prize and you will be amazed at how quickly it spreads!

Creating a website is an excellent idea, and you can advertise your site on Twitter and take advantage of pay per click such as AdSense. You may also want to consider hiring a marketing company to assist you! It's not as expensive as you think! Companies like BlitzLocal.com offer some great marketing for as little as $10 a month!

Debby
    nikkilandry Newbie
    I have an online radio station at www.live365.com/stations/nikkilandry and I'm looking for advertisers on my site. If you're interested please let me know. My station is Top 5 in it's genre and it runs world wide. Send me an email if you're interested.

thanks,
    Nikki
    LocalGal Newbie
    You could also look at creating a joint venture project with another business. For example, if there is a well established fireplace repair or installation business you could ask them to include you in a mailer they send out to their customers. You could offer to pay the business a percentage of the sales that are generated through the mailing and track it by using a specific coupon code. That way you are promoting directly to your target market.<!--Session data-->
    mediaworksus Newbie
    Sounds like you have your market cornered, so the only issue is to get the message out in an appropriate manner.

I sell all forms of advertising at wholesale pricing, but print and web ads have not been producng results for our clients. No one pays $1 until they have their ideal TV ad in their hands.

Our clients advertising on TV in any market throughout the nation have been VERY IMPRESSED. The best part is that the entire TV campaign can be VERY inexpensive. I'll be glad to send you samples of our work and pricing for your market. Spending $250 on a TV ad and advertising a few hundred each month pays off exceedingly more than any other form of advertising. (at least for the ast 3 years)

Shoot me an email to dperez@mediaworksus.com
    techy2009 Newbie
    @madden11: You can be as creative as you want! Social media is a great way to spread the word without any cost. But the only way to be effective is to target the sites properly instead of posting a link at any random social media space.

With so much of media exposure around, its increasingly difficult to get noticed. As a marketing professional, I find it really interesting to read about new and innovative marketing strategies that are being implemented.

I regularly login to idea database, such as, getmemedia.com just to check out various innovative strategies on marketing. Such a delight to read about ideas from a wide spectrum of people.

I am sure you will find a lot more different ideas to support your current tactics - flyers, craiglist etc.

Good luck!
    techy2009 Newbie
    @madden11: You can be as creative as you want! Social media is a great way to spread the word without any cost. But the only way to be effective is to target the sites properly instead of posting a link at any random social media space.

With so much of media exposure around, its increasingly difficult to get noticed. As a marketing professional, I find it really interesting to read about new and innovative marketing strategies that are being implemented.

I regularly login to idea database, such as, http://www.getmemedia.com/ just to check out various innovative strategies on marketing. Such a delight to read about ideas from a wide spectrum of people.

I am sure you will find a lot more different ideas to support your current tactics - flyers, craiglist etc.

Good luck!
    nikkilandry Newbie
    Another great outlet to use is merchants circle.com I use them and it's worked awesomely and it's FREE. It's great way to get potential customers and so much more. Seriously check it out. http://www.merchantcircle.com/
    ArtDirector Newbie

I think you are doing good creating a web site, as web graphic designer I recommend to my clients do some of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) you can save a lot of money
    making marketing online in stead spending money with magazines, flyers or yellow pages! I use google, Bing and yahoo for my own marketing online and I receive a few clients
    per month with short budget. If you need more help about that here is my website http://www.danilosavaq.com/ I have better skills on Art Design but I had to learn how to work with
    marketing online to keep my clients all the time.

Good luck!

Daniel
    Madden,

I would incorporate some video into your website and a lead capture form. Give something away for free, whether you have a small trial log or helpful information on buring logs. Make sure your website developer know SEO, you should be able to do well with online ranking.

I would also consider affiliate or drop ship orders. Why limit yourself to just local business?

Local marketing.... approach realtors, resorts, vacation clubs, golf courses, etc... anyone who may use fireplace atmosphere for business or attraction.

Best of luck,

Mike
    <!--Session data-->
    maximuskang Novice
    Hi Madden!

You know, with April Fools right around the corner...this might be the only time you can get away with something like this. For your organic lawn care business, you could advertise Crop Circle Landscaping services as a joke of course. You don't have much time, but I think something ridiculous like that not only has the potential to really blow up, but it can really set a strong branding for your business online. :) It's what we in the SEO industry like to call "link bait".

We did something like this last April Fools when I was doing SEO for Expedia. We created a micro-site where we advertised flights to Mars for $99. It was so ridiculous that we got thousands and thousands of inbound links.

I hope you find what you're looking for here Madden!

• Maximus
    Spunkybear Novice
    Hi There!

In the area where I live, what I found out is that a lot of lawn care companies, in order to offset the winter slowdown, spend a lot of time puttiong up Christmas lights and or other holiday decorations. Those that I have talked to seem to be pleased with they business they do, commerical and or residental. Hope this helps! Granted it is not advertising, but would be a creative way to market your business in the off season.
    Marcus42 Novice
    Madden11
    All of the above are great ideas.
    Have you thought about shooting a short 2 minute video of your product with possibly you in it? Or if you're not comfortable with that, get a cute Guy/Gal and put them in it. If you do it yourself (and you certainly can) it will cost you nothing. Take the video and upload it to Youtube, Metacafe, Yahoo, Viddler, and others.
    Use the right description and keyword tags for the video. I can almost guaranty that this video will show up in first page local seach around your area. The beauty of this technique is that this video is there until the internet dies, unlike print ad that you have to pay over and over again.
    Hope it helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points