Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2007 4:11 PM by NatOnline

Great Resource for Internet Marketing (PPC) Advice

PPC-Pro Newbie
        • Re: Great Resource for Internet Marketing (PPC) Advice
          Adventurer
          (repeated from a very similar thread - if originator can repeat, then so can I)

Or better yet, rely on "good coding in the source code, a lot of relevant content and legitimate links" (grin)

Establish credibility and expertise (become a search destination) with
          great content. Help the engines find that great content with legitimate
          links from other established sources, as well as properly coded pages
          (don't make a search engine sweat, or it'll leave in a huff - wink)

I've achieved several dozen top-10 Google rankings for my website alone
          in 2 months time (a brand new site, rebranding my firm and new URL in
          Oct 2007) without spending 1 cent on PPC.

Not saying PPC is bad or not worth it - but it's not NECESSARY with the
          right webdev team that can provide the best solutions for your
          business. Hint on who that might be? (LOL)

Mike
              PPC-Pro Newbie
              Too say PPC Advertising isn't "necessary" or "too expensive" point's to a bad experience or something. When pay per click campaigns - ie. Google Adwords - are managed correctly they are extremely profitable. To exclude PPC from your online marketing stragegy just doesn't make sense. Here's why I say that:
              1. With SEO it's extremely hard or time consuming to get good rankings on all the keywords you need to drive solid business.
              2. SEO companies charge a boat for their services.
              3. Organic rankings can be dramatically effected when Google makes an algorithm change or even updates their index ... remember the "Florida" incident 6 years ago.
              4. PPC enable instant exposure on all your keywords.
              5. PPC allows you to track and calculate ROI. That's hard to do with organic traffic.
              6. PPC allows you to test different ad copy and landing pages with different keywords.

I could go on and on. But the point is simple. SEO and PPC should be included in eveyones online marketing strategy. Studies have proven that websites that rank high organically and have PPC ads running on those keywords as well, not only dramatically increase their click thru rates but their conversion rates as well. When a user sees your company listed 2 or 3 times on that coveted SERP (search engine results page) your viewed as a leader in your industry.
              I recommend using PPC as a testing ground for your SEO campaign. Find out which keywords get good traffic and convert well on your site. Then plan your SEO efforts around that data.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

PPC-Pro, re: "Studies have proven that websites that rank high organically and have PPC ads running on those keywords as well, not only dramatically increase their click thru rates but their conversion rates as well."

No question that the click-thru rate increases. Could you please provide links to the studies proving that conversion rates increase? Hard evidence of this would be significant to several clients. Thanks!
                      Adventurer
                      Wouldn't conversion be more a function of the website itself (how it flows from info to action - sale. call for appt. download whitepaper, etc?)

Clicks to a website express interest (mild to hot) on a subject or topic.Like walking into a store after seeing an ad (or having a barker hand you a flyer/coupon right outside!)

But once I am at the location (real world or web page), if the 'place' is a mess, or confusing, or doesn't have what I want, or misrepresented itself, I won't convert, I'll run!

Are we asking too much of a PPC campaign to both bring in traffic AND get them to act? Just asking.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                          You're asking ME? Yes, I think that is too much to ask (or claim) regarding PPC -- that's why I was asking for links to the studies that proved conversion rate would increase. Click-thru rate, yes . . . and if the clicks increase, the sheer number of conversions might increase, too -- but in our studies, the conversion rate actually dropped (and quite significantly) which is why I'm so interested in seeing studies that proved otherwise.
                              Adventurer
                              Fascinating results.

And I was just asking out loud, it was easier to click 'reply' on the last item then scroll ALL the way back to the top (grin).

And just to clarify, SEO does not have to cost a lot if you baked it into the project from the get-go. That's what we do for our clients. Older sites might have a rougher time of it, but there are inexpensive but valuable steps any unoptimized site can take to boost their rankings.

I think PPC has its place if you're going after phrases that are oversaturated and organic SE rankings would either not be possible or take a very long time to achieve. If you have deep enough pockets, you can jump the line and rise on the sponsored side of the page.

But I'd rather look at the gems of phrases that don't have a lot of search traffic to begin with, but are totally relevant to the products or services of the website in question, and build a page or two around each of those topics - that can yield at the least traffic in about a week or so.
                                PPC-Pro Newbie
                                "Too much to ask or claim ... " PPC is one of the fastest growing industries right now. Google didn't go from a simple search engine with moderate revenues to a power house of a company seeing revenue jumps by the billions each year because pay per click advertising doesn't work. PPC is their bread and butter ... period.
                                I've been doing this for over 6 years and have tested the results (conversion rates) across several different sites. While there are many different ingredients that go into a successful internet marketing campaign, the results favored having strong listings both organically and paid. (Lot's of good stuff about this at MarketingSherpa.com)
                                It's important to understand the role of your PPC campaigns. PPC Campaigns do NOT sell your product or service ... your Website does. If you're using "targeted" keywords, good ad copy and relevant landing pages, the traffic coming to your site should be qualifed. But if your site doesn't sell ... prices too high, no free shipping, site lacks appeal, clumsy navigation, unclear calls to action and the list could go on and on ... then the blame is on the sales person / website.
                                Having an Industry Leading website is Critical in online marketing. Go to www.archive.org and type in a URL in their Way Back Machine and see how many times the big boys change/update their websites. Look at Wal-Mart and Best Buy for example. They do this for a reason :-)
                                Bottom line - Pay Per Click Advertising works. I do it everyday. Granted there are clients that come to us that haven't had or start of with poor results. But we can always trace poor performance back to the website, pricing, lack of incentives or other factors that hinder the purchase. Using good analytic tools to determine bounce rates and possible pages being abandoned during the check out process are essential in making it all work. Let's face it ... the day's of "build it and they will come" went bye bye a long time ago. The internet has truly evolved to a "survival of the fittest" scenario.
                            NatOnline Tracker

1) SEO isn't extremely hard or time consuming (that's an marketing argument from a SEO firm)
                            2) You don't need a SEO company if you understand how the system works, do it yourself.
                            3) Organic could change so as the PPC prices :-)
                            4) PPC enable instant exposure on all your keywords if you pay for
                            5) You can calculate a PPC ROI, without ROI. How hard to get ROI in Organic search if is free? I dont get it
                            6) You don't need PPC to test different pages with different keywords

What about PPC fraud? You can waste a lot of money.
                            Do you know the PPC average vs Organic?

No need of PPC data, I've got my own ;-)