Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 9:11 AM by Amiralle

Top Ten Small Business Trends for 2010

Vince Adventurer
      Happy New Year to everyone. I came across this article that may be of interest to many members of the site.

http://www.smallbizlabs.com/2010/01/top-10-small-business-trends-for-2010.html

What do you think? Agree? Disagree?

Vince
        • Re: Top Ten Small Business Trends for 2010
          caffeinated Scout
          Vince, Happy New Year to you as well! I agree with #7 and #8. We're definitely heading into an all mobile world. With smartphones on a continuous rise and wifi everywhere, you can be online whenever and wherever.

-caffeinated
              Vince Adventurer
              On #8, is anyone leverging location-based marketing for their businesses?

And for #9, does anyone have the time to do the data analysis to validate their gut instincts? I agree that data-driven decision making is extremely important, but data is imperfect, not always available and requires time to analyze. Having the data in hand often validates what you already know. So is the overhead really worth it?

Vince
              Visionsoln Wayfarer
              Thanks for sharing. I agree with most, but not so sure about #9, analytical tools...

Not sure what this refers too - would love to know. I'm all for using tools that could help me get better marketing results.

And, also # 7, with respect to "clean and green" - not sure just how many or to what extent real small biz opportunities have resulted, although I'm all for environmental-friendliness. Maybe wishful thinking... Any body have any data or other resources to share with respect to the "clean and green" opportunities?

Best, Felicia Watlington
                Amiralle Newbie
                I found #7 most interesting.

I am new to the term cloud computing and had to do a search to understand the term. Now that I think I understand, I'd like to give an example and hope someone will tell me whether my thought process is correct.

Here's an example, Intuit's brand Quickbooks offers online book keeping application. This is in addition to the physical software I purchase and can upgrade each year. The online version is an example of cloud computing since an outside server would be used to maintain my files?

My second example is Intuit related too. I had an old version of their Customer Manager program that I found useful. It seems only an online version with a monthly subscription fee is available. There isn't a software version. According to this article, online management rather than in-house computing will be the norm. It seems Intuit is confirming the writers statement.

I believe in progress and technology but have a difficult time releasing control of important information to another. What if I can't connect on line? Also, it appears cloud computing is more expensive in the long run. Sure it doesn't cost much if anything to start the process but in 18 months I'd pay twice as much as "owning" the program. I only upgrade software when noticeable or relevant to me are upgraded.