lisaniel Newbie
      Between 40% and 60% of software failures and defects are the result of
      poor software management and requirements definition. In plain English,
      this means that about half of the problems encountered could have been
      avoided by making it clear, from the very beginning, what the customer
      expected from the respective project.

This is to say that the
      programming was fine and the developers did their job well - only they
      did a different job from what they were supposed to.

So here comes the use of Project management to overcome this problem.

Online Timecard
        • Re: Project Management
          DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer
          It is unfortunate that so many people that want to create software programs do not understand how to explain their vision to the programmers. It is far to common to see poor direction, no clear expectation on each step of the project.

Creating software is exciting and many people are jumping on the bandwagon to try and come up with something new or better. Although the enthusiasm is wonderful, they first need to take some time to learn how to do a complete story board and communicate with their programmers. The fault really belongs to both parties! Programmers should know that if a certain aspect is not explained properly you will not be able to meet the expectations. This is where questions have to come in and communication!

• Re: Project Management
              phil_ayres Newbie
              I certainly agree with DebbyBlitzLoc - communication is essential. Even an experienced project manager for a vendor can feel the need to hide certain issues from a client though, so it can be important for the client to have someone experienced of their own to cut through the hidden meanings and delve deep. Communication really needs to be open, honest and constant, from all sides, though all businesses have their agendas and they don't always align with reality.

I have just finished an engagement troubleshooting a software project where the client was unable to guess the true meanings of some of the vendor project manager's over-optimistic communications. The client told me that when I joined the project it was like being in a foreign land with someone who actually spoke the native tongue. An experience project manager can do this, only if they are willing to admit one thing: they have experience in good projects and failed projects as well. In my opinion, a PM, a customer and a vendor all learn more from previous failed efforts than they do from the successes.