Post a new topic
    20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 8:14 PM by Shamus

Why Are My Posts NOT Showing UP???

DomainDiva Ranger
      Whyare my posts not showing up and why am I always diverted to a jive website when trying to post this thread?
        • Re: Why Are My Posts NOT Showing UP???
          Iwrite Pioneer
          Don't know. Has it stopped?
              DomainDiva Ranger
              This is my second answer on this thread. I think someone may be back.
                  Iwrite Pioneer
                  I think it is just glitch.
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      I think it is just a glitch.
                          amspcs Ranger
                          What glitch are we talking about? And looks like WHO is back?

Back on subject: I also am having trouble getting posts published. Almost to the point where I no longer waste time writing since more often than not I'll just get the 'has to be reviewed' prompt
                          and the post never appears. Still can't figure out exactly what it is that 'flags' a post for 'review', and find it astounding to see the obviously spammy junk that gets through while my posts get blocked.
                          I think it is beginning to adversely affect the quality of this forum since some of the regular contributors I used to enjoy seeing all the time seem to have disappeared, which I'm guessing is
                          because they too experienced frustration and just gave up.
                              Iwrite Pioneer
                              I was thinking it was a glitch in the system because I have had a post totally not show up, no "has to be reviewed" - the post simply never showed up but the I posted again and it showed up.

I am here less because of the quality of the conversations has gone down, but I am also frustrated with the reviewing process and the ability of people to wage personal attacks by marking posts "inappropriate" and they are removed without review.

Domaindiva is talking about a person who it seems was able to hack the system and effect her ability to post. This person was removed from the forum at least two times but pops up every now and then.

I have a list of people I enjoy reading and I'm disappointed that they have gone silent or posts less. This board used be something.
                                SBC Team Guide

What kind of glitches are you experiencing when you attempt to post? Are you receiving an error or just a notification that the post needs to be reviewed? If there are technical issues, please bring them to our attention and we will fix the problem. You can do this by posting to the forum in the Community Feedback section. Soon, we will also have a support email address for you to provide this type of information outside of posting to the site. More details to come on the mailbox.

Back to your original issue. If the message you receive after posting is related to moderation, please be assured that there is nothing personal in the process. It is an automated process that flags postings for review. This process has been in place since the inception of the site and minimal changes have been made. The processes to identify spam is rudimentary and not foolproof, but it does eliminate a significant amount of spam before members see it. We acknowledge that some spam does make it onto the site, despite our best efforts. However, this is where we need your help in identifying and reporting spam. This can be easily done by clicking on the report abuse link on the posting and we hope that you'll help us by using it when appropriate. If the abuse is legit, the post will be removed. If the abuse report is invalid, the post will remain on the site.

By sharing this information regarding the inner workings of the site, we hope that we can foster a richer and deeper conversation in the community. We cherish the opportunity to serve you everyday through this site and hope that you'll support our efforts.

Thanks,
                                SBOCTeam
                                    amspcs Ranger
                                    Thanks for the response, Team. I never thought anything was personal. But, although I don't doubt your claim that your rudimentary flagging system does filter out a lot of spam, I also highly suspect that it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater by filtering out tons of good posts along with the junk. In that sense, I think it does much more harm than good.

A couple of possible suggestions: Why not relax the flagging rules for long time contributors to the forum? Senority and loyalty should have it's perks. In other words, new posters could and should earn relaxed privileges once they document their value to the community. And longtime valued contributors should not be held to the same standard as someone of unknown value posting for the first time.

Secondly, to a certain extent, regular serious contributors probably could do as good a job as you of filtering out spammers and fraudsters. I know I frequently report posts that are obviously spam as inappropriate. BUT, you can't just automatically delete posts that someone tags as inappropriate---that could lead to lots of abuse and trickery. Instead, anything marked as inappropriate should be forwarded to you for review and clearance or otherwise. I think that would work much better than your current arbitrary
                                    system which, as I say, seems to be causing more problems than it solves.

AMSPCS
                                        SBC Team Guide
                                        Actually, posts flagged by the system are not automatically deleted. They fall into a queue for a review by the SBOC Team. In many cases, the posting makes its way onto the site in a delayed fashion, after it can be reviewed and cleared by a member of the team. In some cases, the posting is deemed innapropriate for the site and is rejected. This process also holds true for reported abuse. We try to eliminate trickery by manually reviewing all posts forwarded for review. This ensures that everyone's opinion is heard on the forum.

As for your suggestion about reducing the review thresholds based on seniority, it is a great idea. In fact it is one that we have thought about extensively. Unfortunately, the software platform does not currently allow for this function. The software treats all users the same with respect to what posts are reviewed. We will see if there is another way to provide this functionality to users.

Nonetheless, please keep the suggestions coming as we are always trying to find ways to improve the site.

Respectfully,
                                        SBOCTeam
                                        VOMIChairman Newbie
                                        I just signed up today with SBOC and I can tell you how disappointed I am with the antiquated "automated filtering" system available, starting with the registration process. For example, the system would not allow me to use the words "virtual organization management" at all. While attempting to describe what my company does, I had to remove practically every single word in my description and leave just a phrase.

That is a SERIOUS problem that should be dealt with immediately. Initially I thought that perhaps our company was too leading edge and that the software developers of this platform were a bit in the dark ages with respect to the internet and social media landscape. However, based on the numerous comments I've read on this forum and the multitude number of complaints and levels of frustration the members are experiencing, it seems to me that the management of SBOC needs to seriously consider revamping the technology platform for this forum instead of constantly putting the blame on a "computer glitch" or a "filtering system" that's been in place since 2007 or else serious professionals will leave it in droves and B of A will not realize its intended benefits from the use of this forum.
                                            SBC Team Guide
                                            VOMIChairman,

First, we would like to welcome you to the SBOC and thank you for your comments regarding the community's technology platform. The frustration you felt during the registration process is unacceptable and we will work to get this problem corrected. We were unaware of this specific problem and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. When this is fixed, we ask that you update your profile information, so that we learn a little more about you.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, "automated" systems serve a very specific purpose: to identify and block spam. These processes are considered industry-standard for established communities and prevent useful content from getting buried under a significant amount of spam. The prevalence of spam in the past led to members leaving the site. To adress this issue, we made numerous structural changes to the site, which have resulted in a reduction of spam but also caused some frustration. In the coming days, we will look to improve the effectiveness of these tools to ensure a better experience for the community.

We appreciate your patience as we work to conitnue to provide a better user experience.

SBOCTeam
                                    SBC Team Guide
                                    DomainDiva,

Are you still having this problem with posting? It is most likely a glitch, but we'd like to make sure. If you see this problem again, please post the Jive URL to the site and we'll get it corrected.

Thanks,
                                    SBOCTeam
                                  wordperfect Scout

Hi Diva, Happy New Year! I hope everything stays up in the air for you.

Your topic is something I seem to have lived with off and on ever since I joined, I put it down to being in the C country so sort of just go with it. I never really knew others suffered as badly.

However, having said that I did have a hassle with my Profile update a while back and after 3 moans the SBOTC team not only rectified it but did the upgrade for me, so they are human!

To be honest though, I do belong to several forums and true, the "controls" here are among the toughest, others I can post straight in, no moderation, BUT the crunch come that there is so much sh.... errr effluent form a certain 3 countries that it is hard to sort out the wheat from the chaff, it is mostly chaff. Here at least, the posts are valuable and blatant SPAMMING' in limited. I have also had my email address compromised 3 times with other forums, so I can tolerate a certain degree of moderation.

To VOMIChairman I can sympathise, I had a devil of a job getting my profile up, the "editing tools" are weak to say the least, its ok if you are just a one liner, but to do anything with any value IS an effort I agree. But I see you are asking how to resign, hmmm, that sounds a bit spoilt bratty to me. A Domain Diva and a Web Prima Donna! Maybe you might like to conciser hanging around, it does appear you have skills, knowledge and experience that we, the community and SBOTC generally can benefit from.

So instead of taking your toys out of the sandbox in a huff, how about helping us move in some more sand?

Remember, a triangle is just 3 flat lines helping support each other.
                                    Navigator
                                    Hi SBOC team,

Wanted to thank you for providing this forum for us. Any thoughts on what governs the top 10 rankings? I think I should be #10, but sometimes I show up and don't show up-- would appreciate thoughts on how that works.

Dennis