Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 11:44 AM by TheSoloGuide

Purchasing a Home Health Agency in the Austin Texas area

TEXASRN Newbie
      We are looking to purchase an existing home health agency in the Austin Texas area. I am an RN with MANY years of home health experience and want to own my own agency. I am interested in purchasing a small existing agency as a way of getting started quickly. Any help is appreciated.
        • Re: Purchasing a Home Health Agency in the Austin Texas area
          phanio Pioneer
          You must be or have someone in your organization licensed with the state. Contact the Secretary of States office to find out more. Not sure if the license can be transferred.

To be licensed - you have to make sure you meet all their requirements - like having policies and proceedures in place - especailly when it comes to HIPPA.

When you do your license - ask about getting involved with Medicare and Medicade. If you can become a provider for these - they will send you customers - you don't really have to market for them.

Try to find another company in another town that is in your space - and ask them. Take the owner to lunch and pick their brain on how they got started and what to avoid.

Business Money Today
            aaustin Newbie

This is an exciting time for you, I have included some information that I hope will be helpful as you are moving forward with the steps to get your business up and running.

It is important to know that you must become accredited to be able to bill Medicare and Medicaid and participate in OASIS data submission. Medicare does not act as a referral agency but will let consumers know who is Medicare approved.

It is important to know that accreditation is NOT transferable and in the state of Texas the state license is not transferable. You will have to complete an "Initial Application". Additionally, Texas does require, for Home Health services that you be a certified Medicare Home Health Agency.

Here is the information from Texas Administrative Code that may be helpful:

An applicant who has requested the category of licensed and certified home health services on the initial license application must also make an application for certification by CMS as a Medicare-certified agency under the Social Security Act, Title XVIII.

(1) Pending approval by CMS, the applicant:

(A) receives an initial license reflecting the category of licensed home health services if the applicant meets the criteria for a license; and

(B) complies with the Medicare conditions of participation for home health agencies in 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 484, as if the applicant were dually certified.

(2) If CMS certifies an agency to participate in the Medicare program during the initial license period, DADS sends a notice to the agency that the category of licensed and certified home health services has been added to the license. If the agency wants to delete the licensed home health services category once the category of licensed and certified home health services has been added, the agency must submit a written request for deletion of that category.

(3) If CMS denies certification to an applicant or if the applicant withdraws the application for participation in the Medicare program, the agency may retain the category of licensed home health services.

Accreditation can take (depending on which Accreditation Organization, AO you choose) approximately 9 months. It does involve getting polices and procedures and HIPPA is very important but you also need to focus on patient rights, staff education, fiscal responsibilities, patient care, and performance improvements measures.
            !http://www.palmettogba.com/palmetto/StateLicensure.nsf/BlueDot.gif?OpenImageResource!*Home Health Agency License?* Yes
            "Home and Community Support Services Agency License," which indicates, "Licensed Home Health Services," with expiration date, issued by the TX Dept. of Aging and Disability Services, at 512-438-2100.

Good Luck and post updates on your experience through the process.

aaustin
              Tracker

TEXASRN:

If you are looking to purchase an existing business, I recommend that you connect with a local business broker. You can do a search on Google by "business broker austin tx". Most business brokers will have listings on their sites, but some will have "pocket listings" (businesses that don't want people to find out that they are for sale via the internet). They only want the business broker to bring qualified buyers to them.

If you don't see any listings in your area, meet with a couple of business brokers until you find one that you are comfortable working with. Typically brokers fess are paid by the seller, but if you are having a broker work for you as a buyer's agent, they will ask you to sign a contract for some form of compensation. Then the broker can approach specific centers that you are interested in buying to see if the current owners are willing to sell.

I hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com/
                Tracker

TEXASRN:

If you are looking to purchase an existing business, I recommend that you connect with a local business broker. You can do a search on Google by "business broker austin tx". Most business brokers will have listings on their sites, but some will have "pocket listings" (businesses that don't want people to find out that they are for sale via the internet). They only want the business broker to bring qualified buyers to them.

If you don't see any listings in your area, meet with a couple of business brokers until you find one that you are comfortable working with. Typically brokers fess are paid by the seller, but if you are having a broker work for you as a buyer's agent, they will ask you to sign a contract for some form of compensation. Then the broker can approach specific centers that you are interested in buying to see if the current owners are willing to sell.

I hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com/