Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 12:32 PM by Autistic_Angel

Want to open a special needs day care center

pedi_nurse Newbie
      Hi, I am a nurse who wants to open a special needs (medical) day care in Fort Worth area. I'm not sure where to begin. How would I find out if this type of business would be a needed resource in my area. I have cared for special kiddos for 10 years and this is my dream, they need to be as "normal" as possible and it would help out the parents.
      So I would appreciate any feedback.
      Thank You,
      pedi_nurse
        • Re: Want to open a special needs day care center
          Navigator
          Hi Pedi Nurse,

Here's a really simple, but effective answer to your question. Since you're in Fort Worth, try doing a Google search for "Dallas special needs day care" and call up the businesses there to ask for advice. Since you're Fort Worth, they won't see you as direct competitors and will likely help you. If that's too close, then search with "Austin" or "Houston".

Let me know how it goes! And when you get to the point of where you want to show up in search engines, let me know. Our service starts at $10 a month, month to month.

Dennis Yu
          dennis@blitzlocal.com
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Want to open a special needs day care center, Welcome and Happy New Year

If I wanted to open a special needs day care center, I would develop a business plan and

contact SCORE> SCORE is FREE

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            <!--Session data-->
              Tracker

pedi_nurse:

There are a couple of steps that you will need to take to launch a business, which I can get into greater detail at a later date with you if you would like.

To answer your specific question relative to researching demand in your local area, you can do a couple of things:

Do a search online for "special needs children Fort Worth, TX". This should produce results to indicate whether there are other centers providing similar services to what you plan. Seeing competitors in your local area isn't necessarily a bad thing. It shows there is demand. You then need to see determine what you will do differently so parents will choose your facility versus the completion, plus is there still enough of a need in the local area not serviced by the current centers.

Find the local charities and hospitals that work with children with special needs. Interview them to find how large the local special needs population is and how a new center can better service their needs.

You can check with city hall to see what statistics they have regarding the local special needs population, too.

I hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com/
                Autistic_Angel Newbie

Did you have any luck with opening a special needs day care? We have the same problem in Tulsa, OK. There is only one school designated specifically for special needs kids and they have a 3 year waiting list. My 4 year old daughter is Autistic and I have been struggling to find care for her for the past 2 years. The public schools here don't have a class for kids like her so they contract them out to other places. I have been looking into what can be done by myself or someone with more knowledge of this type of situation. I have been trying to get feedback from people to see what I can do to try and start up a school or care facility for kids like my daughter.

Thanks,

Christy