Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 3:55 AM by Mongoose

Who is using Google Local Business Center?

Navigator
      We've found decent success in submitting and verifying our free listing in Google. With Yahoo, only minor success, even with their paid monthly featured listing option. Love to hear what is working for people-- what directories that they're listing in and maybe even how you are tying in your AdWords, Analytics or other accounts to this. The world is not just Google, but it's hard to talk about Internet marketing without mentioning them. :)

Dennis
      dennis@blitzlocal.com
        • Re: Who is using Google Local Business Center?
          wordperfect Scout

Hi Dennis, I seem to be following you around the board!

I belong to a couple of UK forums, and the Google Local Business Centre is popular there too, I was recommended to set it up.

My issue was that we have a bilingual site, 1 Eng, aimed out of China mostly so the details needed to be in English, Google, waited till I had completed all fields before rejecting my application claiming it contained "Illegal" Characters.

It took me several attempts before I worked out that they needed it in Chinese language characters, the Almighty G detected I was based in China, from my ISP I guess, so for me, until Google rewrite the rules, it is not dooable.

I "hijacked" your post in the hope that someone from Google reads this and..............
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Navigator
              Hi WordPerfect,

What you need to do, if you haven't done it already, is to go into your Google Webmaster Tools and set your region to China.
              Try that and let me know what happens. And I didn't know you could set GLBC in China-- would love to hear more!

Dennis Yu
              dennis@blitzlocal.com
                  wordperfect Scout

Ni hao Dennis, sorry my fault for posting a brief reply, it wasn't clear enough that I actually wanted to make my listing in ENGLISH, not Chinese.

The whole procedure was rather long winded so I cut to the chase so to speak. As you suggested, I was set up as CHINA in my TOOLS account, that is how they ID me and rejected my data as wrong characters.

To use GLBC in China it seems that you need to use Chinese characters in your data input. However as I wanted my data read by non Chinese I used English, which Google would not accept. Thinking I was clever I then set my location to USA, picked any city, worked like a charm except the location map for my company was set to USA, which was useless!

As I said, I did not activate it, or couldn't, but it does seem that as long as one uses Chinese Characters, not pinyin, I tried that too! then it is possible to set it up here in China, everything went well, even had my Chaoyang map location detailed, but, as I said, when it came to the last field and "SUBMIT" Google rejected English or Pinyin as the input data.

So it seems from my limited experience and knowledge that if one has a web site in one country that does not use English and want to set up Google as an international in English you are pretty much stuck as you need to use the language one's site is based in.

I guess in French or Spanish or Italian etc it is not such an issue as " 27 Rue de la Guere" is understandable as a location by most people but 地址:北京朝阳区西大望路甲23号 珠江帝景5号楼201A邮编:100022 has limited recognition!

Is that clearer or have I just stirred up the muddy water more?

Interesting to see if this gets past the mods with the Chinese
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Navigator
                  GLBC recently introduced some cool reports that tell you how many times you were viewed in map results, how many clicks, and what keywords you came in on. Trouble is, they anonymize some of the keywords, so it's not that accurate. If I could post images here in this forum, I'd show you.
                  vixenmedia Newbie
                  Google Places is actually where we find clients. It is a lot better and more accurate than Yellow pages or Superpages listings.

Marie of Vixen Media
                  http://vixenmedia.blogspot.com/