Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2007 1:48 PM by Lighthouse24

Language and Business

Buffalo Adventurer
      One of my pet
      peeves is bad spelling and incorrect grammar.
      As a business person I think it is imperative that spelling and grammar
      be correct because:

1)
      Language is for communication and poor spelling and grammar
      result in poor communication.

2)
      Improper use of any language creates a poor first
      impression. With the competitive marketplace being what it is, a business must make the best impression right
      from the start.
      3)
      It shows laziness and a lack of respect for the intended
      reader.

4)
      I'm sure there are other reasons so let's hear them.

And Spell Check is everywhere...use it!

If a person
      were not a native speaker of say French and they are trying to get French
      speaking people to invest their money with them would it not make sense to have
      a native speaker help them with their written and verbal communication?

Just some
      thoughts on a cold and blustery day!
        • Re: Language and Business
          Buffalo Adventurer
          I wrote the above post in Word and then did a cut and paste. That's why it's laid out so weird.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Buffalo, WELL SAID. Especially with spell check. I hate myself when I post an answer and then see a
            word misspelled. (sometimes I want to say check, but will write cheek and spell check says ok)
            Have a hot drink, LUCKIEST
                CorpCons08 Ranger

LUCKIEST, Very well put. I find myself typing faster than my hands are moving sometimes, leaving out a "t" or an "e" at the end of a word.

Buffalo, I understand why you posted this. I agree that spelling is very important, especially when we are all professionals that are passing our products and services on to people. You have made a valid point in using a spell check before submitting the response, especially since there is one built in to this forum. :o

Warmest regards to both of you,

CC08

P.S. I ran a spell check on this reply and realized I left an "r" out in agree. :)
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

For me, this community is the same as any other public place where I get into an informal conversation with another business owner about the issues we face. If I'm having a one-to-one conversation with someone, I don't speak the same way I do to a live or radio audience. If I'm responding to a post in this community, I don't write the same way I do for a newspaper column, magazine article, or book.

In an informal business conversation, it's not the other person's job to guess what language, dialect, accent, pitch, volume, rhythm, etc. I'd prefer. It's my job to listen -- and cut through all that metalanguage to understand the other guy's message. In conversation, most of my effort goes into really listening to the other person, and then recalling and formulating information that might be useful. When I have a response, I talk -- I don't think too much about how I say it. (Unlike speaking to a large audience, where I put a great deal of care into how I phrase and present my responses to a group at-large.)

If I want to informally network on-line, especially in a multi-culture environment like this one, I don't consider it the writer's job to try to figure out what I want to read. I have a choice after all, to read someone's post or not -- and if I'm choosing to read and respond (and therefore choosing to initiate an informal on-line relationship with that person), then it's my job to do the work to understand what he or she has written. That's where my effort and attention goes -- and if I have a response, I just type it as I think of it (and because I can think a lot faster than I can type, I often hit the wrong key or leave out words). When I'm done, I submit it. I don't spell check it or proofread it or anything -- I trust that readers will appreciate my thoughtful response enough to forgive a misspelled or omitted word.

I've have lived and worked outside the U.S. extensively, and I recognize that simply being a "foreigner" presents plenty of challenges all by itself. When I was learning new languages, I appreciated anyone who took the time to try to understand and help me (instead of just trying to make it more difficult). Recognizing that this is a diverse and global community, I hope I'm someone who tries to understand and help.
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

As noted above, I consider this community to an informal communication venue. Formal business communication is another matter altogether! I'm astounded by the sheer volume of lousy advertising copy, sloppy website content, and misleading correspondence that I see (not just misspellings and poor grammar, but glaring inaccuracies and potential legal minefields, as well). I agree that for formal business communication, Buffalo is correct -- businesses are often judged by the style and quality of their messages. When words are used in a commercial transaction, speakers and writers have an obligation to their listeners and readers. Business owners owe their customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders the respect and courtesy of communicating in a manner that is clear, concise, correct, and accurate. But again (speaking only for me), I consider this to be a networking site, not a place to conduct business transactions.