Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2007 7:19 PM by crewology.com

WORKERS COMP. INSURANCE? NETWORKING CONTRACT LABOR SITE CAN GROUP GET HELP?

crewology.com Wayfarer
      I HAVE A WEB 2.0 SITE THAT WILL LAUNCH IN JAN.08. MY QUESTION IS, CAN A GROUP OF PEOPLE AS MEMBERS ON A PAY NETWORKING SITE GET WORK MANS COMPENSATION INSURANCE? AT SOME SORT OF DISCOUNT RATE BASED ON THE NUMBER OF MEMBERS. OR AM I JUST DREAMING?

THE REASON I ASK IS THAT THE SITE WILL BE POPULATED BY MOSTLY INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS AND FREELANCE TECHS.

IS THERE ANYTHING AVAILABLE TO THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE? SOMEONE PLEASE SAY YES, IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE THIS AVAILABLE TO OUR MEMBERS. IF WE CAN GENERATE THE INTEREST.

THE BEST TO YOU, GARY A. CHISOLM
        • Re: WORKERS COMP. INSURANCE? NETWORKING CONTRACT LABOR SITE CAN GROUP GET HELP?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Workers compensation is an accident insurance program paid by the employer which may provide employees with medical, rehabilitation, and income benefits if they are injured on the job. These benefits are provided to help employees return to work after an on-the-job accident, or to help dependents if the employees die as a result of the incident.

So my questions are:
          1) Are these people actually "employees?" If so, and you have more than 3 of them (full or part time), you're required by Georgia law to carry Workers Comp (your profile says you're in Georgia).
          2) What are these people doing at work that could result in a lost-time injury or death? (Just curious.)
            • Re: WORKERS COMP. INSURANCE? NETWORKING CONTRACT LABOR SITE CAN GROUP GET HELP?
              crewology.com Wayfarer

first, thank you for your response to my question. to answer your question, the web site is an online community whos members are actually independent contractors ex. freelance av techs., broadcast industry people or small busi. owners like barber shops, salons. so the answer is no they are not emplyees of crewology.com ,but members on a payed membership site. the site gives the member a storefront profile page with back office features that allow the member to better maintain their clients and expand their network. some features are online calendar database that works with your texting device and updates your calendar automaticly from key bottons on the members phone or text device. and we offer unlimited viop long distance service national and internation plans that work with video phones you can see the person on the other end on the connection if they have the video phone service, we call this feature crewphone. works great for anyone wanting a better connection to their clients or family members the service is unlimited long distance. for $24.95 nationwide or $45.95 a month international plans. i thougth that if a group or community that worked in the same industry category could get some sort of group coverage. we do have a med discount card that the member can purchase. we hoped that there was some sort of plan or coverage options that could be made available to our members that would allow them to take advantage of the member numbers to get workmans comp. or maybe i'm wording the coverage plan wrong. maybe its not called workmans comp. coverage but something else. thanks for your reply
              the best to you, Gary A.Chisolm
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

Yes, sounds like you're searching for some type of group medical coverage rather than workers comp. With members potentially all over the country, you'd need some type of national provider network -- and sponsoring/administering a plan like that might be more expense and trouble for you than you really want. But I hope you do check into it (I'd start with a major like Blue Cross), because if medical coverage were less expensive, it would be a great benefit to offer! Good luck.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                LUCKIEST Guide
                Good luck with your web site that is launching in January.
                Questions, Do you have an Insurance Agent?? An Accountant?? A Business and / or Marketing Plan??
                Happy Holidays, LUCKIEST
                  mainstreetifs Wayfarer
                  The answer is no, you cannot purchase worker's compensation if you don't have employees. You can purchase what is called an Occupational Accident Policy through AIG or Great American that offers many of the same benefits as workers comp but it designed for independent contractors. The coverage is very popular with truck drivers that are owner operators and self employed contractors. Here is a link to AIG for further info:

http://www.aigaandh.com/aandh/public/anhfiledownload/0,1965,1580,00.pdf
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful