Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 3:30 PM by DebbyBlitzLoc

Starting a Babysitting Business

Kaminari Newbie
      I'm soon moving to Arizona with my girlfriend and I thought that maybe we could start up a babysitting business. I'd imagine that it's one of the easier start-ups requiring a minimal amount of capital. Any ideas or suggestions on how to carry this out would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!
        • Re: Starting a Babysitting Business
          phanio Pioneer
          When you get to AZ - seek out your local chamber of commerce, Small Business Development Center (SBDC) or SCORE office (anyone will do) and ask about the laws of that state regarding licencing and registration. Also, search the web for sitting placement services. I don't know much about these - but, my daughter uses them to find sitters.
            britinusa Wayfarer
            Agreed with Phanio,

Do a lot of networking. That biz is particularly built by word of mouth, people want recomendations when it comes to trusting their kids with anyone.

Chamber, Networking groups (BNI, PNA, etc.)

MVBizx.com too.

Wish you luck when you get started.

Paul
              DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer
              Make sure you realize there are many regulations that must be met these days when it comes to daycare! Although it may seem like a relatively "easy" business to start consider the challenges as well! First lets hope that you have a true love of children and realize how stressful it can be caring for other people's children. It is much different than caring for your own.

Next consider the amount of space needed and the investment into toys, activities, play areas, child proofing the entire building, etc. Make sure you are well prepared as there is much more involved than just a quick business to get into!

Once you get to AZ go and talk to the local elementary schools in the area. Find out if they recommend any daycares to their parents and if so, find out why! Knowing your competition is crucial! Being new to the area you may not be familiar with the average price people there are willing to pay. Perhaps there is a daycare that is only open till 6 pm on weekdays, you could set yourself apart by staying open till 9 or 10 pm. Find your niche!

I wish you the best of luck and success on your business and your move! Do your research thoroughly and will have the first steps to realizing your dreams!

Debby