Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 7:35 PM by FranchiseHope

Any Advice on starting a online business?

Ambitoussss Wayfarer
      I would like to start an online business. Starting with a website. What are the steps? How do you start an online web company. Is there a company that designs programs?
        • Re: Any Advice on starting a online business?
          Tracker

Ambitioussss:

Congratulations on your entrepreneurial spirit.

Before you move forward with finding a business to build you a web business, have you defined your target market? Did you develop your unique value proposition (why customers will choose your business versus the competition)? Did you develop a business plan?

If you answer yes to all of these questions, you have several options depending upon the complexity of your site. Most hosting companies (HostGator.com, GoDaddy.com, Yahoo, etc...) offer some basic options bundled with their hosting services. If you have a more complex site, take the time to do a thorough interview of potential companies.

If you need a list of some good companies, you can contact me at thesologuide@gmail.com.

If you answer no to the above questions, you can either contact me for help or you can go to my site (the address is listed below) where I provide details about methods for finding answers.

All the Best,

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com/
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Ambitoussss Wayfarer

I appreciate the feed back Sologuide.

I have been self employed thru my career for awhile now. I do believe in a "business plan" I have been researching for a company that would develop my website with not much of a turn out. I'm surprised at the options out there. I have had several websites for my prior businesses including a retail ecommerce which had failed.

This website needs a program developer I think. I'm in the beauty industry and lack knowledge in the digital world of website programming. I only know the usual website launching which I hire a company to do that.
                  DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer
                  Sounds like you have been there done that when it comes to trying to start an online business on your own! If finding talented people to design a website is your goal, try sites like Odesk.com Getafreelancer.com these are great places to begin!

If you are looking for advice on how to market your site try blitzlocal.com. There are many sites out there that can assist you with internet marketing!

It is a tough process to get your site to the point that it is profitable, but it can be done! Sometimes enlisting the help of experts is the right answer!

Debby
                    Tracker

Ambitoussss:

You may need one or two people - one for marketing strategies as a whole and another for implementing the strategies effectively online or you may be able to find one person that is talented at both.

For example, I could consult you on marketing strategies as a whole, but there are other people more talented at implementing certain strategies online. I have a friend, Ben Nanson, that runs Phoenix SEM at PheonixSEM.com. He should be able to help you with your online needs.

All the Best,

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

Ambitoussss Wayfarer

I appreciate the feed back from all of you. There really doesn't seem to have one company that does all. How can we americans trust a business out of this country? Eventhough they charge so much cheaper. I don't believe that they lack of any experience but just the thought of working with such a far business is hard to swallow. I have been looking locally with not much luck but I will try again hoping a face to face interaction. Very hard to describe your idea thru only typing and talking to a screen.

Debbie,
                        I have tried several online tricks hoping that it would work. I stand by website being a great way to sell your image before the product. Although with this new idea it doesn't relate enough to my past experiences with the web.

I believe that if you try hard enough beyond the imaginable anything can happen.
                            Tracker

Ambitoussss:

There are pros and cons to working with international service providers.

The pros tend to be a lower cost for service as you mentioned.

The cons can include the time difference (minimizing the hours that you can reach them by phone, if you desire), language barrier (writing, translation and interpretation of instructions). This isn't necessarily true for all offshore vendors, but these are the prevailing issue.

For example, I provide copywriting services. I have clients that paid for copy services from offshore providers only to receive content that wasn't grammatically correct nor hit upon the nuances of hot points for US consumers. These clients end up paying twice for the same service - once to have a rough draft from overseas and another fee to have it edited or worse yet, completely re-written here.

There are cost effective providers here in the States. The combination of your budget, the clarity of your goals and instructions and an effective interview process will net out the best results for what you can afford.

If you are struggling with this process, there is a company, ProResource, that offers education in defining outsourcing projects, finding the right service provider(s) and managing the project to hit your pre-set goals. They currently offer a "Help Without Hiring Toolkit" that I've reviewed and found it very useful.

Here's the link:

http://www.proresource.com/

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

LUCKIEST Guide
                      Advice on starting a online business

Having a business plan is a great first step. The Plan is like a road map.

SCORE online is also a great help or asset. SCORE is FREE.

Happy new year and good luck, LUCKIEST
                      <!--Session data-->
                        mathewgp Wayfarer
                        Ambitioussss,

I am from Pansys Software, India and we provide online store solutions using OpenCart, famous and reliable opensource solution which is free. We take care of installation, customisation and maintanance on services base. We are offshore development partner of a Canadian software firm, if you have any concerns about communication barrier, timezone difference etc you can talk with them and understand howmuch successfull we are on those matters.

Visit us online at www.pansyssoftware.com

Thanks,
                        Mathew
                          FranchiseHope Newbie

Congratulations on starting a business online, its not very hard, the hardest thing is determining the correct steps. I have done it a few times and had some difficulty, but that difficulty allowed me to determine what steps to take.

1. As noted by another you should create a business plan
                          2. you should also create a marketing plan (identifying who your market is key)
                          3. Join a network group and find out where they got their websites done, look at them and see if you like it, but better yet, make sure that is it is easy to follow
                          4. There are many companies out there and you could build it your self, it is easier to have someone else build it, my experience is that you still have to supply the information, the the companies know how to format it better.
                          5. If you are going to sell you have to add a store
                          6. You need pictures of the product and services that you are using. Use a good camera to take the pictures
                          7. If you are creative do a nice background, but the best I have seen have been on all white.
                          8. Remember to have something like a promotion item that people will want to by
                          9. Optimize your site to bring traffic
                          10 have a secured site

Best you.

If you need more information, contact me at info@dnawoman.com